Chapter 21 - Talent Show Pt. 4

_____________________

Chapter 21

December 4, Friday

Arthur's POV

The talent show had ended. The audience were slowly exiting the theatre as the performers could finally leave as well.

Walking out, I could see Leonard, Kathrin and Jeremy standing at the lockers. I jogged up to them, a small smile on my face.

The whole time I was up on the stage, I just couldn't seem to take my eyes off of Leonard. I didn't even know what half of the references in the song actually meant, I only chose the song because I knew Leonard would like it.

"Hey," I blurted out, an awkward silence falling upon us. Kathrin seemed to notice the tension as she spoke up, saying, "I really need to pee. Jerry-boy, do you need to pee? Yes you do." before dragging Jeremy away so that the Lee boy and I were alone.

"I sung the Bernadette song because I knew you liked--" I started explaining, though Leonard cut me off. "Was the song directed towards me?" He asked, a look of worry masking my face. "W-- what?" I quizzed, trying to throw him off.

"Allow me to rephrase that-- do you have an attraction towards me in a way that is not just... friendship?" The dark haired boy repeated, his face more serious than it usually is.

My eyes widened every so slightly. "Oh, no, of course not." I lied. "I mean... I'm not gay. I just thought it would be a kind act-- as a friend-- to sing a song from a show I know you like."

Leonard nodded skeptically, then straightened up again. "Ok-- uhm, well, good. So we are undoubtedly certain that the relation between us is no more than friendship?" The blue eyed boy then questioned.

Misery clouded my mind. It felt as if I was stabbed repeatedly into my aching heart, what's left of the hope I had that Leonard and I could turn into something more just bleeding out with it.

I am not one to cry-- the last time I did cry was when our dog, Bruno, died; and that was six years ago. But Leonard just seemed to have so much control over what I feel-- every word he says, every thing he does-- yet he has no clue about any of it; which was why I could feel my vision blur.

But I couldn't show him my distress and sorrow-- so I held it all back with a blink, only letting out a quiet and muffled, "Yea," I could feel my lip quiver as I started to fidget with my fingers behind my back, "Just friends-- nothing more."

Leonard nodded, his lips as thin as a line, then asking, "I will be walking home now, would you accompany me in doing so?"

I shook my head, looking down at my shoes to hide the tears that-- once again-- glazed my eyes. "Okay then. I shall be seeing you during school next week." The boy stated before walking away, leaving me alone in the hallway.

Nathaniel's POV

I scurried around the school, trying to find Maeva. I eventually did as I arrived at the alleyway located at the back of the school.

I couldn't see her clearly because she was so far away-- the darkness covering her face-- but I could see her back leaned against the wall, her leg shaking vigorously as her left hand held onto her forehead.

I had a small smile on my face before I started walking up to her. "Hey, I've been looking for you." I started cheerily saying, but when she took her hand off of her face from shock, I could then see her blood-shot eyes as tears streamed down her cheeks.

I could feel this worry overcome me-- but it was taken over with guilt. I did this to her, didn't I? For trying to continue pushing the relationship between her and I when, truthfully, I should just realise that it was not there anymore.

Though, a larger part of me refused to believe that, because that was how much I loved her. I didn't care if it was toxic, or obsessive-- I love Maeva Renolds with every part of me. She might've given up-- but I don't think I ever will.

"Please, Nate-- please.. just go." Maeva sobbed out, looking away so I wouldn't see her tear-stained face. "What-- what did I do wrong?" I stammered, me standing as straight as a line, my arms still on my sides.

"Nothing, okay?" The brunette girl yelled out. "Absolutely nothing. There, I said it! You have been so sweet, with all of these grand gestures, and fricking singing a song for me. But you broke my heart-- you broke my heart that night when you kissed that other girl-- and I can't risk feeling that pain again. It hurt-- it hurt too much, Nate; too much."

I stood there innocently, sighing. "I didn't kiss her." I murmured under my breath so that she couldn't hear me.

And to be honest, I couldn't even be mad anymore. I've been blamed repeatedly for this act that I didn't commit so many times that even I was starting to believe that I kissed carrot top.

And I guess that's when I first started moving on.

Because what was the point of holding water with your hands if it was only going to drip and go down the drain?

"So please, just... leave." She uttered out for the last time, before I nodded-- turning around to walk away without another word

And that was when I finally admit to myself: it was the end of her and I. And I think that's what really broke my heart-- knowing that the girl that pieced me back together from just a few shards of glass was also going to be the one to shatter me all over again. Yet my determination didn't fade-- which was the most heartbreaking of it all: my feeble mind slowly killing me

_____________________

995 words (edited)