Chapter 39 - Graduation Pt. 4

Italics is the video

_____________________

TW: Swearing

_____________________

Chapter 39

June 11, Friday

Jeremy's POV

For the past week-ish, Nate has just been so different. Distanced and sad, like he was last year after his dad left. He isn't completely shutting down, he's actually present rather than completely isolating himself and not talking to anyone-- but he isn't completely here, he's... lost.

Like when we were hanging out today all together, he seemed so happy on the surface. He was smiling, laughing, looking so cheerful as if nothing was wrong in his life. But it wasn't all real, he was so sad and hollow on the inside. Anyone who payed attention would be able to tell that he wasn't okay.

And I know why he was. I guess he's finally got it in his head that maybe him and Maeva were over... officially. I guess I'm just really worried about him.

I was currently with Kathrin on a random bench along the street since Nate left not long ago and neither of us really wanted to separate yet. I guess she and I both shared this worry, and being with someone who understands makes the situation somewhat better.

"Y'know, I'm just so tired of them both suffering over something that was caused by this big ass misunderstanding." I finally spoke up, sighing as I looked at the ground.

I care about Nate, and I love him. We aren't affectionate with each other because we just aren't like that, but we've been friends for so fucking long, and Nate is like a brother to me at this point.

I think I just... want to somehow solve this problem; I want to help him, more than I already have. I know that whenever Nate cares about someone, he clings onto that person as if they were the most perfect person in the world, and for them to just leave him like that is equivalent to having one of his limbs cut off-- something that is meant to be with him just forcefully taken away.

"Yea, I know. Maeva and her fucking stubborn self, and Nate's just.. being Nate." Kathrin stated, scrolling through her phone as she hugged her knees with one arm.

"What're you looking at?" I asked, leaning closer to her so I would be able to see the screen, noticing someone's Instagram page. "I'm just stalking this girl." She then replied simply.

"What girl?" I quizzed, seeing a lot of photos of a familiar redhead.

"Y'know carrot top?" Kathrin replied, finally looking up to glance at me, though there was a confused look on my face, "Sorry, no, uhm-" The brunette went and checked, then saying, "Ellie Thompson."

"The girl that started all of this shit? Yea, I know her." I replied, then asking, "Why are you stalking her?"

Kathrin just shrugged, chuckling to herself. "For fun, dig up some dirt on her to see if I can shit about her with an actual reason--" Though, she cut herself off, a shocked look painted on her face as her brown eyes widened, "--And because my super great detective skills might just end all of this."

She turned her phone around, showing me a video posted from almost a year ago. In it there's a clear view of motherfucking Joshua Johnson, the psycho stalker, sat in a circle with a group of seniors from last year.

"Truth or dare, Ellie?" A random guy in the circle asked, all eyes on the redhead girl. "Hmm, I pick dare." She replied, a drunken grin spread on her face.

"I have one," Joshua spoke up, glancing over to someone off camera, then back at Ellie. "I dare you.. to go kiss that guy over there." He said, pointing over to who I would assume is Nate.

Ellie giggled to herself, standing up and slowly walking over to the blonde, the camera then starting to record him. "What--" I heard Nate start asking, confused, though before he could even make up a sentence, Ellie pulled the blonde's head down as their lips slammed together.

Nate seemed to be trying to push her away, struggling to get away from the strong grip she has on his neck. And that's where the video ends.

Time skip

No one's POV

The pair quickly ran over to Sienna's house. Well, first they went over to Maeva's place, but Mrs. Renolds told them the girl was celebrating over at Sienna's.

Kathrin rapidly pounded on the door while Jeremy pressed on the doorbell repeatedly. The door was eventually opened by Mr. Millers, a mild confusion masking his face.

Maeva stood from where she sat, her eyes widened ever so slightly and her eyebrows furrowed. "What happened? What are you two doing here?" The curly haired brunette questioned, very slowly walking closer to the two.

Kathrin's head snapped to Maeva, not saying anything to reply. Instead, she marched over to her, handing her opened phone to the girl.

Maeva's POV

I slowly, shakily, took Kathrin's phone away from her hand, my vision going blurry with tears that one by one overflowed and dripped down my face. I could feel my quivering lips part open, though only a bit, surprise clouding my head.

So he really was telling the truth. This whole year-- the begging for me to believe him, wanting me to have him back so badly-- it wasn't just because he was desperate for us to be together again, but also because he needed me to believe him, believe the truth.

And this whole time I've just been shutting down, telling him to move on when I haven't even completely. It's finally dawning down on me that I just wasted a whole year resenting and hating and avoiding Nate without even allowing him to give a proper explanation. I was just engulfed with so much pain and doubt that I eventually ended up alone.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry." I sobbed out. It was all I was able to say, all that I can say. And I was sorry, sorry for being so cold and stubborn, sorry for letting them go so easily without a chance to explain, sorry that part of all of our pain was also my fault-- and I have to stop blaming the death of my father on all of the reasons as to why I was being the way I was.

I kept apologising, the word just slipping out of my mouth as easy as the tears on my cheeks, subconsciously wrapping my arms around Kathrin. "I've been such a bad friend, and such a bad person, and just-- I'm so fricking sorry." I practically wailed into her shoulder.

I felt Kathrin leisurely putting her arms around me as well. She said nothing, because there was nothing more needed to say. The truth was finally out, but it might just be too late.

_____________________

1134 words (edited)