Chapter 31 - Maeva's Birthday Pt. 1

Italics is flashbacks

_____________________

TW: Slight mentions of death

_____________________

Chapter 31

May 14, Friday

Maeva's POV

It's my eighteenth birthday today. Yay.

What an amazing day? Celebrating the day of my birth. The day I became Maeva Maya Renolds. A day where I should cherish with my friends and family-- yet I'm sitting all alone on this bench.

It wasn't snowing anymore, though still kind of cold. The only class I had today was Anatomy, which I already had earlier in the morning. So now I have the rest of the lonely day to sulk about how my friends and family were so far away.

My birthday last year was a mix of good and bad. It was the day I realised I got into this college-- and the day Nate and I became official.. even if it didn't turn out the best, I was still happy; my first love.

And it was the first time I talked to my dad after more than a decade-- we did have a fight, and he did end up... dying-- but at least we decided to be on good terms again; at least he and I had the chance to be a normal father and daughter again.

To treat myself on this depressing day, I bought myself a donut, a frown evident on my face as I took slow bites of the desert.

Finally, I looked up from my lap and saw Joshua walking towards where I sat. He wore a simple black t-shirt and white cargo pants.

 He wore a simple black t-shirt and white cargo pants

Joshua's outfit

His eyes landed onto me, which led to a small smile spreading on his face. After arriving in front of where I sat, he started talking. "Hey Maeva-- why're you just sitting here and eating a donut?" He asked, standing in front of me as I quickly swallowed the last bite before I began speaking.

"Oh, uhm, well... it's my birthday." I replied, noticing that Josh had widened his eyes. "Oh! Well.. happy birthday!" He bashfully exclaimed, nervously burying his hands in his pockets, coming to sit down next to me, "Sorry I didn't get you anything."

"Heh, no it's okay-- you didn't know." I tried saying, spreading a smile on my face to mask the loneliness that's hidden behind my eyes.

"Well now I feel bad-- y'know what, c'mon," Josh started saying again, standing up once more. He reached a hand out for me to take, while I stared up at him confused. "Where are we going?" I asked, taking his hand as I went onto my feet as well.