Chapter 12 - Obsession Pt. 3

TW: Depression, swearing, alcohol, underage drinking

_____________________

Chapter 12

October 7, Wednesday

Nathaniel's POV

She's moved on. The love of my life had moved on; from me. I could feel tears well up in my eyes, but I held them back with all of my might.

But even if I kept on failing and failing, I still felt this undying determination to get her back. So that was when I said, "I'm not giving up on this... what we have; not yet." before I quickly left.

I went to the closest alleyway I could find, sliding down the cold brick wall. I felt tears drip down my face-- the pain slipping out with them.

I knew that Maeva was right, I knew that moving on was the best choice-- for her, and for me-- but I just simply couldn't.

I was stuck in a fairytale where Maeva and I get a 'happily ever after', where we get a happy ending.

And for the longest time, I didn't know why I was fighting so hard for something that maybe... wasn't worth this much.

But then I remembered, my dad-- the person who played catch with me, the person who helped me with homework on late nights-- walking out the door after one last fight with my mom.

And after a little more than a year, we still haven't heard a single word from him.

He just vanished, leaving my mother, brother and I to fend for ourselves.

They didn't fight hard enough for their marriage-- to stay together for their kids-- and I refuse to leave Maeva just like that; like how my dad left my mom.

And from my back pocket, I pulled out a small metal hip flask, sipping the alcohol as the burning sensation slipped down my throat.

And I could feel myself let out a hearty scream-- the agony, the anger, the hurt-- rasping out from my throat, a string of sobs following afterwards.

That's how affected I was by her, how much hold she had over my mind and emotions.

Maeva's POV

I sat back down on my bed, staring down at the sign he made in awe.

His handwriting was a little wonky, like it always has been; but the fact that he went out of his way to make this and come all the way over here yet I still rejected him-- that made my heart ache.

But he has to understand that I've moved on, or else he never will. That's the least I could give him because even after everything, I still had a little part of me that cared about him, and I really do wish him the best without me.

I heard the door open, Josh walking in again. He had this look of... anger, was it? And jealousy, painted on his face. It confused me, but I just ignored it.

"What's that?" He hastily questioned, snatching it out of my hands. "It's nothing." I quickly blurted out, taking it back from him as I put it under the desk.