Chapter 18 - Talent Show Pt. 1

A/n: Hello my fellow readers. I've actually been wanting to write the 'talent show' chapters for a while and I'm really excited to actually get to it :) Anyways, ENJOYY!!

_____________________

Italics is thoughts

_____________________

TW: Swearing, smoking

_____________________

Chapter 18

November 30, Monday

Kathrin's POV

I was at Nate's house, his room dimly lit up with the setting sun. Nate sat at his desk, doing homework (surprisingly), while Jerry-boy laid on the blonde boy's bed, scrolling through his phone.

Over the past few months, Nate and I have been kind of getting closer (I refuse to call him my friend, I've hated him too long for that shit), and after school ended today, Jerry-boy and Nate were gonna hang out and offered for me to join. And since I've got no better shit to do, I agreed.

I sat on the ground, my right hand holding my knees close to my chest while my left hand held onto my phone as I scrolled through instagram, just doing shit to pass time (we were at the point of hanging out where no one wants to leave but is also too tired to actually talk to one another).

Eventually, I came across a post Sienna made. It was from two days ago-- on her birthday. She wore her favourite pink dress, which she called her 'birthday dress', holding her birthday cake while Maeva held onto the Millers girl's arm. They seemed to be mid-laugh when the photo was taken-- so joyful, so happy.

And for a split second, I could feel this sorrow wash over me.

This is what I'm missing out on, I thought, having fun with my friends-- my family. I'm missing out on feeling that same happiness I've always felt with them.

Then guilt replaced that sorrow.

I gave up on them too soon... too easily. Maybe there was still something worth it there, maybe if I just kept on going I could've found something. But I apparently didn't care enough to stay determined.

But when that second finished, all of that negativity turned into motivation. Have I really given up? No. I will get them back, but my only option now is through Nate.

"Hey bro, mind if I smoke a bit?" I quizzed, pulling out my pack of cigarettes. "Nah, it's cool. Can I have one?" He then requested, while I nodded, putting a cigarette between my lips while handing him one (look at us actually having a normal conversation without fighting).

I lit up mine (giving him my lighter because I'm just so generous), sucking in some smoke, holding it, then blowing it out. Finally, I spoke up, saying, "I've got a new idea on how you can get Maeva back."

I saw Jerry-boy perk up, sitting straight on the bed as he had this twisted happiness on his face. I think he's starting to enjoy planning his best friend's love life.

I could hear the blonde boy sigh, slowly turning around in his chair. "Kathrin, I think she has given up on me already-- there's this new guy-" He started saying, though I cut him off mid-sentence.

"Nope, shut up, fuck off. I've lost two friends for this bullshit, you're getting your girlfriend back." I blurted out (and there goes our no argument streak), Nate then giving me my lighter back.

"Are you sure you're only doing this for yourself, or do you actually care about Nate?" Jerry-boy then quizzed, an annoying smug look on his face. I glared at the dark haired boy. "Well I have to admit, he's that annoying younger brother everyone wants to get rid of." I then stated.

"I'm older than you." The blonde declared. "Anyways! My idea," I shouted out, changing the subject, "The talent show on Friday-- you can sing a love song to her or some shit." I explained.

"Y'know, your ideas make you seem like you hate him." The Mendez boy spoke up.

"I do."

"She does."

Both Nate and I said in unison, turning our heads to look at Jerry-boy, who childishly rolled his eyes at the both of us. "Either way, what were you thinking?" Nate questioned, looking over to me again.

I smiled sheepishly before cheerily saying, "Either her favourite Taylor Swift song, 'Love Story'--" I began, the curly haired boy cutting me off. "Nah, ain't no way you singing that in front of the whole school." (annoying fun-less son of a bitch).

"Uh-- don't disrespect Taylor Swift like that." The blonde boy thenretorted, swinging around in his chair.

"Goddamn, fine-- side with the girl you've hated your whole life rather than your best friend. That's fine, that's cool." Jerry-boy mumbled out, sarcasm laced in his voice as he dramatically waved his hands around as if to prove a point.

Now I was the one rolling my eyes at him, going back to what I was saying, "Or you could sing that song 'Until I Found You' by Stephen Sanchez."

"Better." Jerry-boy stated, me turning my head to be looking at him again. "Y'know that song?" I asked, Jerry-boy starting to smile. "Bruh, obviously. It's like the most popular shit right now." He replied.

"Plus, it describes Nate so well he could've been the one who wrote it-- well if he had any sort of creativity. 'I would never fall in love until I found her' it's perfect." The Mendez boy joked, his friend giving him a death-stare.

"Seems like you two are doing all the planning, get back to me when you're done telling me how I could get my girlfriend back." Weird how he still refers to Maeva as 'his girlfriend', guess he really was just a whole love song on the inside.

_____________________

909 words (edited)