|1| old memories

~•~

~•~

Nine years ago

"Mother. Father. You wanted to see me." A 13 year old Evangeline walked up to her parents in her new dress she got from a tailor upstairs and two inch heeled shoes that she just got to match the dress.

"Ah, yes dear." The king greeted. "You know General Kirigan, right dear?"

Eva recalled hearing about him but she had never met him before. "Yes father."

"Well. He is to be wed to you."

Her eyes widened slightly. Sure he was handsome but he was quite a few years older than her. More than a few.

"W-why?" Evie asked quietly, but said it loud enough so her parents could hear her small words.

"You will marry him for status. He is a General and you are a Princess." Tatiana spoke firmly. She looked down at her daughter like there was a pig on the castle floor. "Nothing else needs to be said. Head back to your room, now, little one." She motioned for her servants to usher Eva back to her room.

"Father?" Her small voice let out.

The fat man sat upon the chair looking down at his daughter as if she was dirt that needed sweeping. "You heard your mother." That's all he said before she got picked up by guards who dragged her to her room.

A few hours later, her older brother, Nikolai, walked in with his gloves hands behind his back. "Hey Eva."

Eva's tear stained cheeks rose from her pillow. "Who is it?" The girl rubbed her eyes.

Her brother chuckled. "You can't tell your own brother's voice?" He tsked. "And I thought you loved me."

"Oh, Nikolai! Hello dear brother!" Eva squealed. She doesn't like to do favorites but, Nikolai was her favorite brother. No. Favorite family member. Though they were half siblings, she felt more connected him.

"Hello my dear sister. I have something for you." That was when she noticed that he had his hands behind his back and held something out of her view.

"Ooo! What is it?" Evie bounced on her bed slightly. Nikolai laughed at this then pulled out a box.

"Here you go you little gremlin." Nikolai teased.

Smiling, Evangeline reached out for the box and pulled off the lid. Inside the box was a silver ring lined with delicate designs of plants and leaves resting on a silk cloth that was covering the bottom of the box. The box itself was a red and black box with gold lining.

"Oh thank you Nicky." Eva placed the ring on her finger and hugged her brother. Visily then walked in, ruining the moment.

"Father wants us to train, Nikolai."

"I'll be back. We can train together later." He whispered as he pulled away.

"Angy!" Genya yelled, finally pulling Evangeline out of her trance. "Were you even listening to me?!" Genya's hands were on her hips as she stared at the Princess.

"Oh, Sorry Gen. I was thinking about something." She looked down. "Can you repeat what you said?"

"I said quite a lot while you were off somewhere else. But I'll slim it down a bit. General Kirigan went to the docks to watch the deployment of the new ship the first army has built. He'll be back later at sun set or possibly tomorrow."

"Oh. Alright then."

That's the first chapter! What do you think? Please lmk :)