|13| bastard

~•~

~•~

Inej Ghafa was the type of woman that was someone you could talk to. No matter what it was, she was there to listen. The princess had told her everything that had happened.

From her husband being the General, to her having his kids, to her being a runaway, and so forth.

The two talked while Inej was stitching herself up. Evangeline took notice of the young girl's struggled.

"Need help?"

"No, princess. It's alright."

"No no I insist!" The woman took the needle and thread and started to sew the cut.

Kaz and Jesper were in the barn with them. Jesper gagged repeatedly. Kaz stared nonchalantly.

"How long until you can travel?" He asked.

"Not long." Inej replied immediately. "Where?"

"Ketterdam."

"Woah woah woah. She's wounded. We're all tired. We should take a break. At least a day.

Kaz stared at her with a stone cold face. "Between our dwindling funds, lack of time and conflicting interests... it's time we cut our losses."

"So just like that? You lot are going home?" Evangeline raised an eyebrow. "Your ego, Mr Brekker, has gotten quite low due to the failure of whatever heist you three were trying to pursue, I assume?"

"Listen here, princess. Just because your statice is important to most, doesn't mean it is to me." The man then stomped out of the barn.

Jesper stood there with his hands resting on his hips. "I guess the Bastard missed the Barrel." He sighed. With a sigh, Eva went back to seeing Inej's cut closed.

Jesper gagged again. Inej rolled her eyes at him. "You can watch a bullet year through a man but a needle is too much?"

"It- well- you see, bullets are like bam! In and out. That's- that's just-" he kept trailing off. He yet again gagged. "How do you know how to do that?" He asked Eva.

"As a princess, you have to learn many skills. Sewing is one of them."

"Yeah, we'll, you're sewing a person. That's a big difference." Jesper replied. Inej stared at Jesper annoyed, as did Evangeline.

"The only difference is skin is thicker."

The Zemini man gagged again. "Yup, I'm out."

-~•🥀•~-

Maybe it was just the weather, but Kaz was getting red. Red when he stood next to the princess. Red whenever he looked at her as well. But it's snowing. It's probably the cold. It's just a coincidence. He told himself.

Inej walked up to Brekker, Eva behind her, lurking in the shadows.

"Are you hungry?" He asked. A rabbit was roasting on a stick over a fire he had started a few minutes ago. It wasn't originally for cooking it was for warmth. "Or just saying goodbye?"

The two sat silent for a while when Evangeline broke the silence herself. "Jesper fixed your cane." She walked over to him then handed it to him. He took it whilst blaring at the back of her head.

For a few moments it was just the sound of leather gloves groping at the wooden cane but Kaz spoke up. "So you are leaving?"

"That's it? After everything there's nothing else you want to say to me?" Inej scoffed in disbelief.

"Really man? Really are a bastard." Evangeline stood up from the log she was sat on then walked back to the barn where her and Jesper played would you rather for the rest of the night.