|48| burn

I think there's only going to be 1-2 more chapters :(

~•~

General Kirigan's funeral was placed the same day as his death. Nikolai made stood on a platform with the two pairs of siblings and Mal. Evangeline stood beside Genya who stood by Alina and Zoya.

The plan was to burn the body. On a stack of lumber, Kirgan laid on the top. Next to him we're torches and a fire pit. "You go. You both have every right." Alina said to Genya and Zoya. She didn't tell Eva to because she knew she wouldn't. "For David." Genya and Zoya walked over to the torches and picked one up. Zoya set fire to it first, followed by Genya. The latter handed Alina the same torch as herself.

"No grave. Nothing left. Goodbye Aleksander." Alina walked back over to the girls.

Eva stood there crying, clutching the handles of the stroller her babies were in. The Sun Summoner hugged her tightly witch caused her ti let out a sob.

"Today is a new beginning." Nikolai started his speech. "For all of Ravka. Hell, for our whole world. It's a bit daunting isn't it? Knowing where ti go from here. We've had a singular focus for so long. So much blood has been shed. After hundreds of years separated by the Fold we can celebrate a unified Ravka. Our neighbors to the north will see us United and will aim to strike. But often it's not the battle that takes the most from us. It's the aftermath. The chance to put the pieces of our lives back together that my brother in law had broken up. When a firebird rises from the ashes, it's not the same. But in that rebirth is potential. For new purpose. Thanks ti what Alina has done for us we all have a chance to better the world is that the Fold is gone."

Eva couldn't stop thinking as Nikolai went on, she stopped listening to him and started only listening to her thoughts. What will happen now? How will I raise Billy and Tommy without a father? How can I raise my boys to steer clear of danger when they'll want to explore and live? Will my babies has enemies due to their father? Will they be safe despite all that could happen? She didn't know.

"It won't be easy, of course." She heard Nik say once she had gotten out of her trance. "Nothing is. I had hoped to end on a more uplifting note but here we are."

The cries started to walk away, leaving Eva with the girls and other Ravkans. The said girls all had a group hug. The four watched as the body burned.

-~•🥀•~-

Kaz found Eva stood in the church. "Your brother paid up." He said. She turned startled but let out a breath when she saw him. "I uh. I also wanted to say goodbye. I'm assuming you don't want to come along with us."

She looked down sadly. "I didn't think you were the sentimental type. And besides, this is where I belong." Kaz stayed silent for awhile. "My boys... they'll be better here. With me. Their mother."

He sighed and look to his hands that held his cane. She continued to talk to him. "Not that you'd care for my concern, but, I'm sorry for your brother. Truly."

"I don't want your pity." He finally spoke up.

"What do you want then?" She asked as she sat down, pulling the baby carriage closer to her. He stayed silent for a solid minute.

"To die buried under the weight of my own gold." He said after the moment of silence.

"Was there never another dream?" She pushed the stroller with her as she began to walk out. However, before she could, a hand grabbed her wrist.

"Come with us. Come back to Ketterdam. You can bring them. Stay with me." He said with slight pain.

"And what would be the point?"

"I want you to. I want- I've learned to want you. I- I- I'm scared to love. To like anyone even. But I've started to like you. So please. Come with me."

"My life belongs here. With my boys and my brother. With my people." She moved her hand to hold his gloved one. She sighed with a burned heart. "I will have you... without your armor Kaz Brekker. After Kirigan... I want something new. Love. Affection. Physically and emotionally. With him it was just- it was just..." she trailed off. She didn't know what to say. She then left with her children. Leaving Kaz to his own heart that now burned.