|23| a heartrender

~•~

~•~

"Nina Zenik?!" Inej, Kaz, Jesper, and even Evangeline gasped.

Nina chuckled. "Well that's a reaction. Is there a famous Nina Zenik that I don't know off?"

Wylan looked at the group. "Can I get anyone some tea?"

"That would be great, thank you. I'm quite parched." Eva said. Wylan beamed and went straight to the kitchen area of his building.

That voice sounds familiar. Thought Nina. She turned to see Evangeline Lanstov. "Lina?!"

"Nina!"

The girls jumped into each other and gave the other a big bear hug. Kaz glared at the girls. Always having the need to get straight to the point, he stated, "you worked with Arken."

Nina and Eva broke away from each other as Nina spoke. "It was more of a limited partnership."

"Did you trust him?" Kaz pushed.

The heartrender scoffed. "That turncoat? Not on your life. He was shadier than an oak at three bells."

Kaz seemed to be okay with this as he asked, "what's your price?"

Eva watched Nina shift as she began to speak. "I've expended the legal avenues on my problem. Every clerk in the city says the same thing. 'The judge will see you in six months.'"

"So your looking for the not-so-legal route. On what exactly?"

The Grisha's back straightened. "I'm told you can release someone from Hellgate."

Kaz slowly turned to glare at Inej. The Suli woman just stared at him blankly.

Nina's face grew smaller, sadder. "Someone I say as if he's anyone, and in truth he's the love of my life."

Eva placed her hand on her shoulder. "We'll help find him."

Kaz shook his head. "I can't get you a release from Hellgate. But I can get you a visit. In exchange for your services."

"What do you need me for?"

"The aftermath. Follow me." Kaz walked up the steps of the stairs and exited. Jesper and Inej went after him immediately, the girl stopped thought after she heard no footsteps from behind her.

"He does this."

Nina grabbed the skirts of her dress. "Does he?"

 "Does he?"