Chapter 29 : Discovery

Arpix's POV Four Years Ago

I don't know if things went back to normal or not but for the next few weeks things were...

My foster dad and I were on good terms now, we talked it out and worked through our problems. I sighed as I sat down on the couch, I asked him,"Am I doing something wrong?"

He sat down beside me and said,"No I don't think so. I mean she feels happy.. But do you feel happy with the way things are now?"

I remembered how she looked like the last time she used. She looked like she was in a daze, almost in a trance, so lifeless. She almost overdosed and I was so scared for her. I hadn't talked to her since then. I said to him,"No I'm not. I am actually pretty terrified."

I leaned next to him and said,"I should do something to stop her, it's clearly a bad addiction but I'm a coward... I am so afraid of losing this relationship if I do that, more so that her own health. Gods I am patheic and selfish."

I pulled up my hair, he looked at me with concern. I said slowly,"Is... Is this relationship toxic?"

I froze and looked up to see Rain starting soullessly at me. She clenched her and and let go, she said,"I'm going to go do the laundry."

I got up and said,"Wait!!"

She stopped and look me. I took a deep breath and looked at her,"Can we talk?"

"Sure let's talk,"Rain said emotionlessly.

We walked into our room where we both sat across from each other on the bed. Rain played with her knife waiting for me to speak. I growled and took the knife away from her.

"I want you to stop."

"Stop what?"

She looked at me with distain. I bit my lip and said,"I tried to change Rain, to help the both of us. I am trying to quit smok-"

"Which I didn't asked you to do,"She crossed her arms and said,"You did that of your own validation, I had nothing to do with that."

"What I'm trying to say is that we need to help each other. I want to understand and help you-"

"And I said that you don't need to undserstand,"She was quiet for a moment and then she soften her gaze, she took my hand and said,"I know you mean well but I like what we have now. If you keep pushing right now-"

"I don't like what we have Rain!!"I got up and yelled. I didn't yell out of anger but out of desperation.

She got up and said,"Why? Why don't you? We eat together, we work together, we sleep together, we have intercourse. What more do you want!?!"

I yelled,"All of that is meanless if we don't trust each other!! All of it would be a lie.."

She growled and said angerily,"What's wrong with a pretty lie? I am sparing you the pain-"

I walked up to her and grabbed her wrist, I looked down at her face and said,"I want to feel that pain with you. I want to help you. I keep saying this again and again. Let me help carry your burdens."

Rain open her mouth but nothing came out, she hesitated but then said,"If you don't drop this it's over, Aprix."

I froze. Did she just used our relationship as a threat? I scoffed in disbelief. 

My dad came in and said in his gruffy voice,"Okay girls, you can save your lover's quarel till after dinner. Because food is ready." 

He then glanced at both of us, I looked away and gripped by arm tightly and bit my lip again. Rain didn't speak with me the entire time at dinner. We got into our bed and sleep far from each other. It was silent for a while, we both knew that the other was still awake but said nothing.