11 The next day

Roman POV

When I stretched the next morning with a big yawn I suddenly remembered everything that had happened yesterday. And my God, that was a lot. I rubbed my eyes before turning on my side to pull Cassia to me. But my hand met nothing but a cold, abandoned sheet.

I opened my eyes, startled, and looked around the bedroom. For a brief moment, I began to panic. Was it just a very, very vivid dream? Had I not seen her again and did we not have a baby on the way? My heart sank a little until I looked around more closely. Then I saw it. Cassia's clothes were still lying on the chair where I had put them.

In relief, I took a deep breath. She was probably just in the bathroom. I rolled out of bed and went to the door to knock.

"Cassia? Are you in there?" I asked gently after knocking.

No answer. Cautiously, I opened the door and looked inside. There was no one there. Weird. Slowly I wondered where she could be. I quickly put on a pair of sweatpants and made my way downstairs. When I arrived at the bottom of the stairs, I smelled something delightful. It smelled like fresh coffee and bacon.

I followed the aroma into the kitchen. There she was. Cassia was standing at the stove with her back to me while humming softly to herself. She was still wearing nothing but my t-shirt, which I had put on her to sleep. Slowly I walked towards her. I knew that she had heard me because she threw a quick glance over her shoulder just before I wrapped my arms around her.

"Good morning, baby girl. Why did you just sneak away from me?" I asked, then gave her a kiss on the temple.

"Good morning, Ro. I had to go to the bathroom. And then I thought I might start making breakfast. I hope you don't mind. Because I wanted to thank you for yesterday. You're a great person." she replied as she stirred the scrambled eggs. But she placed her free hand on my arms, which were still loosely holding her.

"You really didn't have to do that. But I'm not going to complain because it smells delicious." I said as I broke away from her.

"Could you maybe set the table? Then I won't have to rummage through your cupboards more!" replied Cassia with a smile.

"No problem. How are you feeling?" I asked as I started gathering everything I needed to set the table.

"Well... Much, much better in a weird way. Still pretty scared, but I think it's getting better." she said after thinking about it for a moment.

My eyes followed her every move as she finished the food and had to remind myself to listen. She was so stunningly beautiful. Again I had the feeling of being struck by lightning, like when I first saw her. And then there was this glow.

I knew this was going to be anything but easy. But still I had the feeling that it was supposed to happen exactly like this. Well, except for the blocked number thing. Something told me that Cassia and this baby were going to be a part of my life.

"I'm glad you're feeling better. And I promise you we'll make this work. Everything." I replied as she set a plate down for me.

For a moment I pulled her onto my lap and just looked at her. Cassia tucked a strand of hair behind her ear as she looked at me almost shyly.

"So.... what are we doing today?" Cassia wanted to know as she put an arm around my neck.

"Well... right now we're going to enjoy that great breakfast you made. Then we're going to your place to get your stuff. That will take a couple of hours. Then this afternoon we'd have to pick up my car from the mechanic. And then, baby girl, we're going on a date tonight. I didn't have time to come up with anything special, but there's nothing wrong with starting with a nice candlelit dinner, right?" I replied as I slowly stroked my hand down her back.

"Sounds good to me." she said softly and then leaned her forehead against mine before taking a deep breath.

-------------------------

Cassia POV

"Oh my god, I need a snack! I'm so hungry!" I said as I got out of the car.

It was afternoon by now and we had just arrived back at Roman's house after driving all the way to Orlando and back to get my stuff. Normally I wasn't a particularly snack-y person, but at the moment I could have eaten anything that came under my nose.

"You can get one in a minute." Roman grinned as he stood next to me and opened the trunk.

I reached for my suitcase, but Roman just grabbed me under the arms and set me aside.

"Hey!" I complained.

"What do you think you're doing? It's too heavy for you!" he explained, taking the heavy suitcase out for me.

"Can I bring it in at least?" I asked, laughing.

"Just wheel it. No lifting." he replied after a moment's thought.

"How can it be that you are already in full dad mode and after only one day?" I wanted to know.

"I don't know, but you should get used to it. I'm just very protective of the people I l- who are very important to me," Roman replied.

I was about to ask him what he was about to say, but at that exact moment another car pulled up in his driveway.

"Oh crap..." he muttered.

An older woman got out of the car smiling and came towards us with quick steps.

"Hello my boy. How are you? Oh, who's this? Hello, my dear. I'm Patricia. Roman's mother." she said as she stood in front of us.

I looked at Roman and immediately knew what he was thinking. Just like me, he quickly tried to figure out how much we should tell her.