18 For a few days

Cassia POV

A little hesitantly I got ready for the day and then went downstairs where I waited for Roman. I was still convinced that he didn't have to change anything for me, but I tried not to be a killjoy. I knew he was trying to make me feel better and I wanted that too. So much.

"Baby girl, could you grab some water bottles from the fridge?" he called as he came down the stairs.

"Sure." I said and quickly went into the kitchen.

When I came back Roman was already waiting for me at the door. I went to the car while Roman locked the house. 

"It's already open." he said as I waited for him to unlock the car.

I got in and put one water bottle in the center console bottle holder and the other next to me in the door as Roman got in as well. He had a big, wide grin on his face. I was a little surprised by that. I mean, what man was looking forward to picking out paint colors or wallpaper?

"Why are you pulling onto the highway?" I asked, confused, 15 minutes later.

"Well... because we're not going to home depot, we're going to Sarasota. I booked us a hotel there for a few days. Just the two of us. We'll go to the botanical gardens, spend time at the beach, and then I got tickets to a show. I figured we both need to get our heads out of the clouds. Besides, this will be our first trip together," he replied.

"I... you... what? Really? But... How?" I stammered, overwhelmed.

"Yes, really. You have nothing to worry about. I've packed for you. It's all in the trunk." he said, sounding very proud.

"You did... But when? I mean... nothing was missing from the bathroom..." I replied as I was still trying to understand how he had managed it all.

"I packed the clothes last night while you were sleeping. And your toiletry bag I grabbed while you were in the kitchen and quickly took it to the car." he explained to me.

"I can't believe you would do something like that for me. You're amazing." I whispered as I could already feel the tears forming in my eyes.

"Hey... don't cry. No tears, baby girl. I love you and I would do anything for you." Roman replied and then took my hand and lifted it to his lips to press a kiss on it.

I was really touched, but at the same time it began to tingle slightly in my hands again. With everything I had I suppressed the urge to snatch my hand from him. I closed my eyes for a moment and took a deep breath.

The ride didn't take long. After about an hour and a half we arrived at the hotel and checked in. The view alone was stunningly beautiful. The opened the door to the balcony. Immediately the salty breeze blew into my face. I breathed it in and relaxed a little. Roman put his hands on my shoulders while he sighed.

"Do you want to eat here or out and about?" he asked gently.

"I think we can eat something on the go. I heard you had plans," I replied.

"That's right. Come along, baby girl." he then said.

I spun around so I could look at him. He still had that worried look on his face. Carefully, I put my hand against his cheek.

"I love you, Ro, and I'm really trying," I said.

"One step at a time. Can I hold your hand?" he wanted to know.

I nodded. Roman smiled contentedly as he took my hand gently in his. Together we went on our way to spend a nice, relaxing day together. I hadn't realized how much I needed this. It was a distraction from the thoughts that haunted me.

"How are you feeling?" Roman asked me at one point as we walked through the entangled paths of the botanical garden.

Still holding my hand in his, he gave it an affectionate squeeze every now and then.

"I wish I knew. I think the best word to describe it is.... Betrayed. I feel betrayed," I replied.

"What do you mean?" asked Roman.

"I know that everyone says that I didn't do anything to cause us to lose the baby. That things like that just happen. But to me it feels like my body betrayed me. It should have been able to do that, instead our baby died inside of me and I couldn't prevent it. That's probably why I'm so uncomfortable with myself," I replied as I tried to explain the chaos inside me as best I could.

"I understand, but it's true that sometimes bad things happen that we have no control over. For example, if you trip and break an arm, it just happens. Or if you get a headache... sometimes there is no explanation. But that doesn't mean that you have failed. The most important thing is to get up again. I promise you that you are stronger than you think," he said as he stood in front of me so that I had to look at him.

"Thank you for being you. And I can never thank you enough or tell you how much I truly love you," I whispered as I stood on my tiptoes to kiss this special man.

He put his hands on my hips as our lips touched. Just like me, he breathed a sigh of relief. Kissing him like that was really like a balm for my soul. It was something I didn't know how much I needed it.

----------------------

The rest of the day passed with a lot of relaxation and closeness. Finally it felt good and right again to feel Roman's closeness, his warmth. And what was even more amazing was that I could finally laugh again. At first it felt strange, it had been so long. But the more I laughed the better it felt. And somehow I felt lighter.

"It's good to hear your laughter, baby girl," Roman remarked as we arrived back at the hotel, still joking about the show we had just seen.

"And I only have you to thank for that." I replied as I put my arms around him and rested my head on his chest.

"Anything for the woman I love, Cassia." he breathed before pressing a kiss to the top of my head.

"Really anything?" I wanted to know while I looked at Roman.

"Anything you want." he replied as his gaze locked into mine.

I reached out and pressed my lips forcefully to his. Then I wrapped my arms around his neck so I could pull him close to me.

Roman lifted me up and carried me over to the bed where he laid me on the soft sheets. He detached himself from me and looked at me closely. As if he was looking for something in particular.

"Are you sure?" he asked softly, his voice low.

"I am, Ro. Make love to me..." I breathed as I caressed his face.

"I love you...you have no idea." he replied.

"I love you too." I said just before he started kissing me passionately.