13 My whole world

Cassia POV

The next four weeks flew by and now Roman and I were on our way to my 12 week ultrasound. Now that we had made it through the first three months, we could start telling more people.

A sideways glance showed me that Roman couldn't get the grin off his face. And I was so grateful and relieved to know how happy he was to see our baby for the first time at an ultrasound. I knew how much it meant to him to hear the heartbeat of his little bean.

Things were progressing pretty well between us too. He was exactly the great person I expected him to be. Only I wished the thing with the misunderstanding by his ex had not happened. Then maybe we would be even closer to each other already. But it made no sense to think about it now.

The only thing I thought about was how my parents had looked when we had visited them for the first time yesterday. Strangely enough, they both recognized Roman immediately from the television. I didn't even know that they were interested in wrestling. But I guess you learn something new every day. Mom's eyes almost popped out of her head and Dad kept calling Roman the Big Dog.

I was slightly embarrassed, but Roman just laughed and shrugged it off. He said he was used to people reacting that way. And there was something good about it. Both Mom and Dad were so shocked that I had brought Roman Reigns home that they took the news that I was pregnant in stride.

"You look so excited. It's cute!" I giggled as Roman stopped at the traffic light.

"Oh believe me I am! My first real look at Baby Reigns..." he replied and then took my hand in his to bring it to his mouth.

He pressed a lingering kiss on it before we continued our ride. God this man... he really had me wrapped around his little finger. I was falling and there was nothing I could do about it. Not that I had wanted to.

Without thinking about it, I put a hand on my stomach and my thumb gently stroked it. I also couldn't wait to take a look at this little gift that had come into my life so unexpectedly.

Roman packed the car and then got out to hold the door open for me. I got out, picked up my bag and looked up at Roman. I quickly thanked him.

He smiled at me before giving me a quick kiss on the forehead. Then he took my hand firmly in his. Hand in hand, we made our way inside so I could check in.

After only a short time, I was brought in to have my blood drawn. I would have preferred to skip that part, but it was important. Therefore, I let it happen anyway.

Then it was finally time for the ultrasound. As I lay down I looked at Roman and his eyes lit up like a child's at Christmas.

The ultrasound technician began to set up the machine for the exam and asked me lots of questions. I tried to be patient, but every minute it took I got more agitated.

"Okay... let's see then." said the woman and began to run the probe over my belly.

And there it was! Our little bean. Still so small, yet so perfect at the same time. I sniffled softly.

I waited for the heartbeat to be played for us, but instead she frowned. Immediately my heart began to race. I looked up at Roman and he gave me a confused look.

"Just a moment, please. It's going to be a little while longer. I'll be right back." she said after another few seconds of silence.

Then she basically ran out of the room.

"What's going on? What happened?" I asked in a panic as I sat up.

"Relax. I'm sure everything is fine. Don't freak out, okay? I'm right here with you, baby girl!" said Roman as he sat down next to me on the table.

He pulled me into his arms and so we waited. My breathing was fast and irregular as my body slowly began to fill with fear.

"Miss Hall, hello, I'm sorry to keep you waiting. The tech had trouble finding the heartbeat. Apparently your baby is in an awkward position. I'll take over. Just lie back down. Nothing to worry about," said the doctor who entered the exam room quickly and sat down at the machine.

He spread more gel on my belly before moving the probe himself. But it took so long. Why didn't he say anything? Why didn't we hear anything?

Then I saw it. His look. And immediately I knew something was wrong.

"Miss Hall, I'm sorry, but.... I can't find a heartbeat." he finally said.

And just like that, my whole world came crashing down.