37 Mama or Dada

Roman POV

I watched with a happy smile as Cassia sat with our little one in the sand on the beach. Every time the water came in, every little wave, Cosima squealed happily while clapping her hands. It was probably the most beautiful sound you could imagine.

And of course I couldn't help but take pictures and videos of my wife and our daughter. Cassia looked over her shoulder as she held Cosi and gave me a content smile. She looked so happy and peaceful.

Just at that moment, a slightly larger wave broke. The waters splashed both of my girls wet. Much to the baby's delight. She loved every second of it.

At some point it was time to get the little girl out of the sun. Because even with a lot of sunscreen and her hat, it was not good for her to be in the sun too long. Especially not because Cosima kept trying to pull the hat off her head.

Together we went back to our beach cabana where cold drinks and fresh fruit were already waiting for us. Cosima's eyes got really big when she discovered the watermelon.

"It's so beautiful here." breathed Cassia as she held the melon for Cosi.

"I agree with you on that. And our little ones obviously like it too." I laughed as I watched Cosima try to shove as much of the melon into her mouth as was physically possible.

"Oh slow down, Cosi. Now Mommy has to wipe your mouth." Cassia then said as the juice not only ran down our daughter's face.

"We shouldn't have left Buttons in the room. She would have taken care of that for you real quick." I chuckled.

"Yeah that's true. But she was totally exhausted from playing around with Cosi this morning. Now that she's started crawling Buttons isn't safe. You should have seen them sitting together in front of the window in the living room last week watching the squirrel." she replied.

"Da!" then went on Cosi.

"No, no. Say Mama, Cosi. Ma-ma!" said Cassia then.

It was a kind of small competition between us which name the little one would say first. Of course, just playfully. And it could not take much longer until it was happening.

"Dada, say Dada, little one. I know you can," I said as I turned the phone back to my family.

I wanted to capture the moment so we knew exactly what name it would be now.

"Ma..." said Cosi, putting her finger in her mouth.

"Come on baby girl... Mama." encouraged Cassia.

"Dada is better, right? Say Dada." I said.

She was quiet for a few seconds. Her eyes wandered back and forth between her mother and me. A little cheeky grin on her face.

"Butt-butt!" she squealed happily, clapping her hands together.

Cassia and I both looked at each other speechless until we burst out laughing. Neither of us had expected this, but at the same time, somehow it hadn't been a bit surprising.

Cosima loved her Buttons and since we always called her Butt-Butt.... It was to be expected.

"I guess that means it's a tie," my wife then said, giving Cosima an kiss.

"As if... It's still open whether she's going to say mama or dada first," I replied.

"That may be true, but face it Ro... we both lost to our dog." she then laughed.

While she was right about that, it was still a cute story. One of the many I would certainly never forget. There were already so many wonderful moments with my family and our daughter was not even a year old. So many unforgettable moments that would follow in the years, decades to come.