Thirty-One

Zhang Hao tosses and turns on the bed, hearing his phone ring. "Five more minutes." He mumbles. But since his phone doesn't stop ringing, he sits up and rubs his eyes. He reaches for his phone, not checking who's calling before answering. "Hello?"

"Zhang Hao! What are you doing?" Ricky asks him.

"Ricky? Do you have any idea what time it is?" Zhang Hao checks the time on his phone and his eyes widen. "Wait... it's already nine in the morning?!"

"Yeah, don't you usually set alarms?"

"I completely forgot!" Zhang Hao quickly stands up.

"By the way, Sung Hanbin contacted me and told me to go for an interview at ten, so I'm on my way there. It's better to be early anyway."

"Wait! I'll get ready real quick. I'll go with you, just give me a few minutes."

"Well, okay then. I'll stop by your house first then."

-

"Why did you want to come with me anyway? Were you trying to be a good friend? I'm touched!" Ricky tells him.

"Yeah... moral support."

"We're here... I'm kind of nervous."

"It's fine. You'll do well. You've worked as a barista before anyway. I'm sure you'll get the job." Zhang Hao reassures him.

"I hope so." They both walk into the restaurant and see Hanbin's mom behind the cash register. There's only a few people since it's still early.

Zhang Hao looks around, but doesn't see Hanbin anywhere. 'Why am I even looking for him anyway?' He thinks to himself before looking back at Hanbin's mom.

"Good morning, ma'am." He and Ricky bow. "This is my friend Ricky. He's here for the job interview."

"Oh, perfect! You came earlier than you had to and I like that." She tells him. "Zhang Hao, Hanbin's over there with a friend." She points and Hao turns to see Hanbin sitting at a table with a girl. They keep laughing and Hanbin hasn't even noticed Hao's presence. "Ricky, please follow me."

"Wish me luck!" Ricky tells Zhang Hao before following Hanbin's mom. Zhang Hao just stands there, not knowing what to do.

Since no one's at the cash register and a customer just walked in, Zhang Hao quickly welcomes him and gets behind the register to take his order. "Coming right up." He tells him before turning around to get his order.

'Why did he have to order a coffee?' Zhang Hao thinks to himself and sighs. He has no idea how to make coffee. He's never been good at it nor has he ever been a big fan of coffee to begin with. Hanbin was the one that helped him yesterday, but he seems busy right now. Zhang Hao grabs a cup and walks over to the coffee machine, not sure what button to press.

Just as he's about to press a button, he feels his back press onto something. Someone takes his hand and presses the right button. Zhang Hao doesn't dare turn around. Judging by his scent, he already knows who's behind him.

"Why didn't you ask me for help?" Hanbin asks him. Zhang Hao immediately moves away from him.

"Oh... I just thought you were busy. Your mom is interviewing Ricky and a customer walked in, so I thought I'd help."

"Still... wouldn't it have been better to ask me instead? I'm sorry, I didn't notice when you came in. An old friend came to visit so we were catching up."

"Oh..." Zhang Hao turns to see the girl sitting at a table. "I see."

After Hanbin finishes making the coffee, he hands it to the customer. "Thank you for coming, have a nice day."

"You can go with your friend if you want. I can handle it." Zhang Hao tells him even though he knows he can't.

"No, don't worry. She's staying here for a few days. We can catch up then."

"She's staying here?" Zhang Hao asks, confused.

"Yeah, she'll be staying with my mom. She just came to visit for a few days, so she doesn't have anywhere else to stay at."

"She must be a really close friend." Zhang Hao tells him. "Since she's staying here."

"Yeah, she is. She's actually Matthew's friend too. We were the three bestest friends back in middle school, but then she had to move away when high school was about to start."

"Oh... good to know." Zhang Hao says, not realizing how bitter he just sounded.

Since there are no more customers right now, Hanbin turns to him, getting a little closer to him. "Does that bother you?"

"What? No! Why should it?"

"It just sounded like-"

"I got the job!" Ricky rushes out of the room and jumps up and down, making Zhang Hao immediately move away from Hanbin. "I can start my first day." Ricky reaches for an apron.

He finally realizes how quiet Hanbin and Zhang Hao are and a confused look forms on his face.

"Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, of course." Hanbin nods. "Congrats on getting the job." He turns around and walks towards his friend.

"Did I interrupt something?" Ricky asks Zhang Hao.

Zhang Hao ignores him and glances at Hanbin, who's now sitting with the girl again.

____________

I said this story would end with
40 chapters, but who's knows?
I'm having too much fun lol

And yes, today's another day
full of updates 🫶

Let me know what you think of the story!

Who's your fave character and why?