1

Through patience a ruler may be persuaded,
And a gentle tongue breaks bone.
Proverbs 25:15

INT. GWI'S THRONE ROOM – DAY

Choi Hye-ryung at 10 years old stands with her father before Gwi's throne. There are a few bags and cases with her. Same type of setting as SWWtN but the throne room is much larger. A servant stands to the side of the room.

GWI
Yes, she'll suit my purposes very well. You are renouncing her entirely?

CHOI CHUL-JOONG/PRIME MINISTER
It's the prime minister's position that I want.

GWI
That won't be difficult to arrange. Leave her things and go.

CHOI HYE-RYUNG
Father, please don't leave me here. I'm scared.

HR grabs at her father's robe. PM pushes her away hard enough to make her fall. He hurries out. HR stands up, alone, trembling.

GWI
Come here. What's your name?

HR nears the steps to the throne and stops.

HYE-RYUNG
Choi Hye-ryung.

GWI
Hye-ryung-a, are you afraid of me?

HYE-RYUNG
No.

GWI
Why did you tell your father you were scared?

HYE-RYUNG
It's dark here. I'm afraid of the dark.

GWI
(smiling)
There's no need to be afraid of the dark now. Nothing can happen to you as long as you're mine.

HYE-RYUNG
Why am I yours?

GWI
Your father has given you away. Apparently, he doesn't value you as much as he values himself. Not very fatherly of him, is it?

HYE-RYUNG
Are you my father now?

GWI
(laughing)
Absolutely not. I'm not even human, my dear. I'm a monster.

HYE-RYUNG
You don't look like a monster.

GWI
Yes, well you saw your father scurrying away. That's because he's afraid of me. I'm a vampire.

HYE-RYUNG
What's a vampire?

GWI
I'm surprised you don't know. I kill people by drinking their blood. I myself can't be killed, unfortunately.

HYE-RYUNG
(eyes wide)
Are you going to drink my blood?

GWI
No, I have bigger plans for you. We'll talk about all that later. As long as you do what I say, you'll be safe here. The servants will help you to your room. Take your things and settle in.

HR picks up her bag while a servant gathers her other cases. She turns to bow before she leaves. Gwi breath laughs to himself.