33

INT. HR'S ROOM – NIGHT

In the early morning hours while it's still dark HR sits in bed. Eventually she throws off her covers and dresses. Wanting fresh air, she walks with a candle-

INT. THRONE ROOM

through the throne room not realising that she's not alone. The room is mostly dark but some candles are still burning low. One male guest who has stayed behind sitting at one of the tables, picking at the food.

ATTACKER
What's this then? It looks like a second dessert.

The attacker rises and comes toward her.

HYE-RYUNG
No-

HR turns to run back to her room but the attacker grabs her skirt and drags her back. Her candle drops to floor and is snuffed out.

ATTACKER
Where are you going when we've only just met? Isn't it polite to get to know someone first?

HR yells for help. The attacker hits her, knocking her down. She tries to keep her senses but the blow has made her dizzy. He fights with her while trying to take off her top, wrenching her arm in the process.

HYE-RYUNG
(yells)
Gwi!

QUICK FLASH TO GWI'S ROOM AND BACK TO THRONE ROOM

Gwi's eyes open wide with a start the instant HR screams his name and he is there almost immediately, throwing the attacker across the room, breaking bones in the process. When Gwi is truly angry, a calming gong plays rhythmically in his head. The gong is going now. Other sounds are drowned out or are heard in a daze.

GWI
Hye-ryung go.

HR is frozen, trying to pull herself together.

GWI (CONT'D)
Leave!

HR rushes out as best she can. A few servants who heard her yelling and arrived after Gwi receive her at the end of the room, ushering her out. Gwi turns and walks toward the attacker who is now snivelling, on his knees, rubbing his hands together, which looks a desperate mess with his broken bones. Gong continues playing in Gwi's head throughout with other sounds faded.

ATTACKER
Please, sire. I didn't know who she was. I never would have touched her if I had realised she was one of your women.

GWI
You can call that a cruel twist of fate if you like. In the end she is mine and you did touch her. In fact, you did more than touch her. I don't give second chances in cases like this.

Gwi slices the attacker's neck and throws his body down in disgust. He yells for a servant. The small group gathered at the edge of the room rush in at his command. Gong begins to fade and other sounds become clearer.

GWI
Hang him upside down near the throne as normal. If there are any other guests who are straggling behind, they may need a reminder of where they are. I doubt he is the only one who has forgotten.

STEWARD
Yes, Your Majesty.

The servants get to work right away. Gwi walks darkly to HR's room.