26

INT. THRONE ROOM – DAY

HR eats breakfast while reading again. Gwi enters.

GWI
Reading and eating again? Is this a new hobby?

Gwi waves a female servant over.

GWI (CONT'D)
I'll have breakfast as well.

FEMALE SERVANT
Yes, Your Highness.

Servant quickly exits.

HYE-RYUNG
I'm prepping for my morning lessons. Still trying to get Yun Seon-do's "The Fisherman's Calendar" memorised. I almost have the first half of Winter now.

GWI
Go ahead then.

HR breezes through the lines, making one or two missteps. Gwi's breakfast arrives in the process and he begins eating while watching/listening.

GWI
Not bad, nearly there. But poetry isn't meant to be rattled off. It's an art, it's a performance. Once you have it memorised, try pulling the soul out of it.

Gwi recites the first two stanzas himself full of beauty and depth, as if he were the poet himself. HR is mesmerised. When Gwi stops, she straightens up.

HYE-RYUNG
That was wonderful, my lord. I could never say it that beautifully. I would feel silly if I tried.

GWI
Yes, you must get past that. When you have enough respect for the poet, for the craft, for the images being created and the real things they represent you will be able to say it with true feeling, and you will begin to understand the poem itself.

Your tutor ought to be telling you all this rather than me. Your breakfast is going cold.

HYE-RYUNG
Oh yes, sire. I don't have much time left, I'm sure.
(quickly grabs a few bites then jumps up)
I don't want to be late. I will practise saying the poem in the right way. Thank you for sitting with me.

HR exits. Gwi continues eating his breakfast.