10

HR is studying alone in the small library. Gwi enters. HR jumps and shuffles her papers nervously, gathering everything up quickly.

HYE-RYUNG
I'm so sorry, Your Majesty. My tutors told me I should use this room to study.
(goes silent and pale, wondering if this will lead to more deaths)

GWI
Stay. I told them I intended for you to use this space; they have done nothing wrong – for once. Show me what you've been working on.

HYE-RYUNG
(tries to overcome her embarrassment and put their latest encounter out of her mind)
Today is calligraphy and embroidery. I'm not very interested in calligraphy, but I do enjoy embroidery.

Gwi sits down next to HR so she can show him her work. He leafs through the sheets of calligraphy.

GWI
Not terrible but it's obvious you're not interested in it. Let me see your embroidery.

HR picks up her embroidery of the beginning of a dragon and hands it to Gwi.

GWI (CONT'D)
Menacing.

HYE-RYUNG
Thank you. I am trying to make him ferocious. My tutor says my others look too tame.

HR realises there's some string hanging off the back of the piece. She goes to remove it but catches her finger badly on the needle and cries out in pain. Before she knows what's happening, Gwi has bent his head down and has her fingertip in his mouth.

HR touches Gwi's hair gently, shaking, quietly.

HYE-RYUN
Sire, please don't hurt me.
(afraid to move at all)
Sire.

Gwi lets her finger go and raises his head, eyes cloudy. He covers his eyes then shakes his head. HR rushes to cover her finger.

HYE-RYUNG (CONT'D)
Please forgive me Your Majesty. I will be more careful. I've covered it now.

HR hides her finger in her lap with a cloth wrapped around it.

GWI
You have no idea how much effort it takes just to protect you Hye-ryung-a.

HYE-RYUNG
(small smile)
Thank you.

GWI
(still recovering, standing)
I came here to tell you that you are welcome to read any of these books. They are not normally considered material for women, but I am very open-minded when it comes to what you should and should not be allowed to know or think about.

HYE-RYUNG
Truly? May I?
(delighted but stays in the same position for his sake)
Do you have any recommendations?

Gwi looks around, gathering a handful of texts.

GWI
Start with these. Skim through the volumes and look at what interests you. We can discuss them and I will make further recommendations based on your tastes.

HYE-RYUNG
(awkwardly tries to look while keeping her hands in the same position)
I would look at them but I want to keep my hand covered.

GWI
Yes, by all means, do.

HYE-RYUNG
But thank you ever so much. I will start them right away.

GWI
If they prove more interesting than your classes I will change your schedule. I have no need for you to become an expert in calligraphy, so you may as well develop in areas that you enjoy.

HYE-RYUNG
(laughs)
You are very much my friend today. I like all of your ideas.

GWI
(not accepting her light tone)
I am not, nor will I ever be your friend. Do not let your guard down so easily or someday I will disappoint you and you will be more hurt than you ought to be.

HYE-RYUNG
(embarrassed, bowing)
Yes, Your Majesty. I will do my best.

Gwi exits. HR waits for a moment, takes her hand out of lap and looks at her finger. She stares for a moment then puts head in hands, breathing deeply. Eventually she moves the calligraphy away and starts looking through books.