15

EXT. GARDEN – DAY

HR walks around the garden alone, singing to herself and enjoying the sunshine. JS enters with energy and gusto, calls out brightly to her. HR turns and is all happiness to see one of the few friendly faces of her life.

HYE-RYUNG
I didn't know you were visiting today. I am so sorry I wasn't able to greet you when you arrived.

JANG-SU
Don't even mention it. Sometimes I just drop by to carry on an argument from the academy with Gwi. My fellow students and teachers have so much less to offer in the world of thought than he does, as you'd expect from someone as ancient.
(chuckling at his friendly joke, always and only focusing on Gwi's positives)

HYE-RYUNG
Should we go find him then so that we can continue all together? I can have some refreshments brought as well if you like.

JANG-SU
Oh no, thank you. Gwi said to come and find you myself as he has some matters to attend to.

FLASHBACK - INT. THRONE ROOM

Gwi and JS in throne room in the middle of conversation.

JANG-SU
(smiles)
Is the little flower here today? Maybe she would like to give us her thoughts.

GWI
I believe she's getting some much-needed sun and fresh air in the garden. Why don't you join her? She'll appreciate your entertainment and it will give her more opportunities for stimulating conversation.

JANG-SU
Wonderful. We'll find you when she's ready to come back in.

GWI
Keep her out if you can. It's not good for her to be in the dark as much as she is.

JANG-SU
Will do.

JS exits.

GWI
(sighs)
She is going to be too attached to you by the time I have to kill you. Maybe it's for the best. I can control her if she hates and resists me.

EXT. GARDEN

Back to HR and JS in garden.

JANG-SU
Shall we continue taking a turn about the garden?

HYE-RYUNG
Yes, I'd like that very much.

JANG-SU
I heard you singing when I came in.
(HR embarrassed but Jang-su jumps forward)
Let's sing together.

HYE-RYUNG
Oh no, my lord, I couldn't. I never sing in front of others, only when I am entertaining myself.

JANG-SU
But you have a beautiful voice, a very pure tone. I'll tell you what, I'll lead and then you can just sing along with me.
(starts in before she can protest further)

JS's clear voice rings out, expressing his character entirely. He chooses a tune that is lively and light-hearted that even children know so that HR will be sure to know it. After a few bars, HR joins in reluctantly and quietly. As they continue walking and singing, she grows in confidence while he sings harmony. They laugh together. They wind up in the gazebo over the pond and finish the song. HR claps as JS finishes with a flourish.

HYE-RYUNG
That was wonderfully fun, my lord. Thank you. I don't think I've ever sung with another person before.

JANG-SU
Well, this will be a new favourite pastime then. We will have to sing for Gwi next time. He'll be tremendously amused at our antics.