6

INT. HR'S ROOM – NIGHT

Gwi and HR standing in HR's room filled with candles. HR clutches at her portfolio, worrying the strings.

HYE-RYUNG
Sire, please let me explain-

GWI
Let me see. And if you can, be still.

HR hands Gwi the portfolio. Gwi goes to sit at HR's desk and motions for her to sit opposite him. He opens the portfolio and begins leafing through the contents. Several minutes pass. Gwi is taking his time and enjoying it, looking up at HR from time to time. HR sits silent, tortured, breathless.

GWI
These are not bad at all. Your tutor is right, you should practice more.
(sits back, slight smile)
You look as though you would wither away if you could. You may explain now if you wish.

HYE-RYUNG
(gushes)
Your Majesty, I'm ever so sorry. Please forgive me, but you are the only person I can draw.

HR shuffles up the numerous portraits she has sketched of Gwi and closes the portfolio, holds it tightly in her lap.

HYE-RYUNG (CONT'D)
The others will not allow me to draw them and I thought you would not be offended, but I can see now that it was wrong.

GWI
Why is it wrong?

HYE-RYUNG
(stammering)
I don't quite know why it's wrong. My tutor agreed that it was my only option, but I wouldn't feel so ashamed if it were right.
(pause that Gwi doesn't want to fill)
I never imagined that you would see them. It is too personal to draw you. Perhaps I should have found pictures of people who don't know me.
(misery lines her eyes with tears)

GWI
(light dances in his eyes)
Little goddess, you should pause to compose yourself internally as best you can and quickly. You're very attractive to someone like me and if you're not careful I may just eat you up right here and now.

HR completely out of her depth, attempts to stop trembling.

GWI (CONT'D)
Fortunately for you, I have plans that supersede my momentary whims and appetites.

As for the people in my household you may draw them all. No one will say a word against it henceforth. And your tutor will also bring you pictures to work on. I will give you a glass so you can make self-portraits.
(grinning wickedly)
But I do expect you to keep drawing me from time to time.

HYE-RYUNG
Yes, Your Highness. Thank you.

GWI
Furthermore, you will dine with me when I have guests for dinner. You need not say anything if you prefer to remain silent. I don't think the company will be particularly entertaining for you, but you could benefit from a bit more human interaction. Be polite and respectful. And tell me directly if anyone does or says anything inappropriate to you. Do you understand?

HYE-RYUNG
Yes, sire.

GWI
I insist on this point. These are not good people; they are capable of all sorts of evil. But they can play bad in their own world. This is not their home and you are not their plaything.

HYE-RYUNG
Yes, sire.

GWI
I'm having a small dinner party tomorrow. Do not be late.

Gwi exits. HR goes back through her portfolio, sorting and straightening pictures, feeling the shame again to see each portrait which she poured so much into.

LATER – CORRIDOR

HR stays up most of the night, pacing, tossing, turning, thoughts churning, hot/cold. Gwi sees her light still on, breath laughs.

GWI
Oh my dear, you are in such a lot of trouble now. But it will be easy enough to harden you and redirect your attention.