2

INT. THRONE ROOM – DAY
SEASON WINTER

Roughly 10 years later. Gwi sits at head of 6-person table in throne room which often has tables set for various events and dinners. Faces throne with HR's entrance point within line of sight. HR enters while Gwi drinking. He stays seated, gestures her to sit down on cushion opposite him where a breakfast is already placed.

GWI
Good morning, Choi Hye-ryung. I'm sure you know that you are here because you are 20 now.

HYE-RYUNG
Yes, Your Majesty.

GWI
You and I have not had much interaction since your joining us here 10 years ago, but it is certainly time – and perhaps past time – for me to become more involved in your formation.

HR sits quietly.

GWI (CONT'D)
Do eat.

HYE-RYUNG
Thank you, sire.

She begins to eat. Gwi continues only drinking.

GWI
According to those around you, you are quiet, perhaps shy – I can't fathom why they are uncertain on that point – submissive, even passive, at times fearful, graceful, obedient, hard-working, clean, tidy, and – my personal favourite – without malice.

Do you agree with this assessment of your character?

HYE-RYUNG
(fumbling)
I am not certain Your Highness. It is easier for others to see me than for myself. It must at least be an accurate picture of what I show to those around me so I can only imagine you will agree with it in time.

GWI
(grinning)
And what is it that you hide from them then? Are you truly without malice?

HYE-RYUNG
(puts her head down, quietly)
No sire, I'm afraid I am not.

GWI
I'm very glad to hear it. And where is your malice directed?

HYE-RYUNG
Toward my father, though he does not merit the title.

GWI
That's natural.
(suddenly annoyed)
How is it that I was able to discover this in only minutes with you while the people you have been with for ten years know nothing of it?

HYE-RYUNG
They have never asked me such questions.

GWI
Humans are sometimes very dense creatures. I'm disappointed already in their imperceptive review. But this is partly why it is time I become more involved. You must be stunted in all sorts of ways, but we will soon fix that.

Is there anyone else you particularly hate? Any of the servants you would like to be rid of? If you're storing up a wealth of hatred for me, obviously, I will be of no service to you there but I don't wish to make you unnecessarily miserable.

HYE-RYUNG
No sire, not at all. I do not hate anyone here.

GWI
No one?
(smiles)
We'll see about that. You can expect to have your days routinely interrupted by me as I please from now on. Enjoy the rest of your breakfast.

HYE-RYUNG
Thank you, sire.

Gwi exits. HR watches him go and puts her chopsticks down for a moment, hands trembling.