12

INT. THRONE ROOM – NIGHT
SEASON SPRING

Gwi is having dinner with a dear friend Han Jang-su, 22 years old. Male servant is refreshing some dishes. HR enters.

GWI
Come and join us, my dear.
(to the servant)
Set a place for her.

Servant bows and leaves quickly.

GWI (CONT'D)
Jang-Su, this is Choi Hye-ryung. She lives here. You'll see her around more in future. Hye-rung, this is Han Jang-Su. He is studying at the royal academy.

JANG-SU
(excitable, full of energy, passionate)
Miss Choi Hye-ryung, I don't suppose you're interested in philosophy?
(slightly joking since she's a woman)
We were just discussing an ethics topic that I am debating soon.

HYE-RYUNG
(smiles, missing his joke because she doesn't know much about the outside world)
I don't think I'll be much of a match for either of you, but I would love to hear your discussion.

GWI
(grinning darkly)
Actually, I suspect you'll have more to say than you imagine.

JANG-SU
(diving in)
Well, we all know one of the most important Confucian values is filial piety. Our question is whether or not it's appropriate for a child to criticise or disobey their parents if they believe that their parents are acting improperly or immorally. The opposing side is taking that filial piety requires absolute obedience to parents, regardless of their actions. I am arguing that children have a duty to correct their parents if they violate Confucian principles. While Gwi thinks it's more complicated than one or the other.

HYE-RYUNG
(smiles at his infectious bubbly nature, despite the topic hitting home)
And what are your thoughts? What is your argument?

JANG-SU
It is well known that some officials even now are abusing their power and are thoroughly corrupt. Surely it is the duty of children to report and expose them.

GWI
Most of those officials are working for me, my friend.

JANG-SU
Yes, but you are not their son, fortunately. It is not your duty to correct them, though it may be an upright thing to do and you could easily sway them any way you wish. That is another argument altogether. It is my belief that the family is responsible for its own goodness. And everyone in the family holds their own responsibility. My opponents will say that correcting a parent would violate the principle of filial piety and disrupt social harmony.

HYE-RYUNG
How can it be pious to overlook, ignore, or cover up evil? How could that be the wisdom of Confucius? If every parent were evil, and every child silent where would that leave society?

JANG-SU
(looking to Gwi)
Oh, I like her tremendously.
(back to HR)
I plan to lean heavily on the need to maintain social order and uphold moral standards in my argument.

GWI
(smiling at JS)
As usual, arguments work very well when kept at a distance, but always become more complex when you introduce a personal element.
(to HR)
He hasn't realised yet who you are, my dear. You may not realise this yourself but I'm afraid your father had to give some excuse for your absence so naturally, you died at a very young age. Jang-su imagines that you are dead, and in fact, here you are, resurrected. I must be a god.

Both HR and JS try to take this new information in in their different ways. Gwi looks to JS.

GWI
Think of her surname my boy.

JANG-SU
Surely not Choi...

HYE-RYUNG
(tries to recover the flow, smiling for JS's sake)
Indeed I am. While my case is obviously an extreme one, and very much in question as we seem to now be discussing what I personally should do and how much responsibility I have, surely your argument is meant to consider practical living for the majority of society, not for one outlying case. Though if you would like to advise me on how I may be more ethical I am happy to hear that as well, whether I agree or disagree with you.

JANG-SU
(turning to Gwi, not willing to embarrass or correct HR)
Gwi, you have quite spoiled our fun by unveiling the newest member of our little discussion society. She will have more developed thoughts than I will on the topic as it is a new question for me.
(smiles full of charm to HR)
I surrender, my lady, for now.

Their conversation continues on about court, various arguments around loyalty and honesty. JS is careful to avoid mention of the PM. Dinner finishes, everyone rises as JS says good night, bows to HR.

JANG-SU
I'm very pleased to have met you Choi Hye-ryung. I do hope to see you again soon.

HYE-RYUNG
Yes, that would be lovely.

Everyone says goodnight. JS exits.

GWI
(looks down at her, less pleased now)
I don't believe I've ever seen you so happy, dear. I'm not surprised in the slightest.
(prodding)
Have I found your match? Do you fancy him? Are you hoping he'll rescue you and carry you away from here?

HYE-RYUNG
(stunned and confused)
I never thought any of those things, Your Majesty.

GWI
What are your thoughts then, after such a pleasant evening? What makes you so happy?

HYE-RYUNG
I am glad that he is a good friend to you.

GWI
His friendship to me is what has you so pleased?

HYE-RYUNG
Yes, sire.

GWI
(is he suddenly breathing more easily?)
I'm very sorry to disappoint you, but it is not a bond that will last.

HYE-RYUNG
What do you mean? Why ever not?

GWI
Simply put he is a good man. Eventually other good men will convince him that he is on the wrong side or his own conscience will. He will betray me in some way or, more likely, try to kill me. I will have to kill him or have him killed. Either way, it is a friendship that will end badly.

HYE-RYUNG
(desperation grows for both Gwi and JS, breathless and quieter with each question in this lot)
But why would he do that? He likes you so much. How can you know what he'll do?

GWI
Hye-ryung-a I have been at this for centuries. There is nothing I haven't seen a hundred times before.

HYE-RYUNG
You've had to kill your own friends?

GWI
And so many others besides.
(tight smile)

HYE-RYUNG
How many of your friends have you lost?

GWI
I stopped counting. It is a handful every century. I can hardly consider them friends given the end result.

HYE-RYUNG
Do you think I am the same as them?

GWI
(not expecting this turn)
Unlike you, I have never thought of you as my friend. But your fate is in your own hands. I will keep my predictions for you to myself. You have decided, after all, to live day by day, have you not? That seems like a wise plan for you at present.
(pause)
You may retire now if you wish.

HYE-RYUNG
Thank you, sire.

EXT. GARDEN

HR leaves throne room but goes to the garden, walks around and around for more than an hour. Gwi watches her from above until she leaves to go to bed.

GWI
(to himself)
Hye-ryung-a, what will it take for you to turn on me? I cannot control you like this. You are not obeying me because you have to. You are choosing every time to do it and that means you can easily choose not to if you are willing to face the consequences.
(pause)
How long until you hate me?