17

INT. HR'S ROOM – DAY
SEASON SUMMER

MS enters HR's room pressing and adjusting her slightly wet hair.

MI-SOOK
Oh miss, it's absolutely pouring outside. What a shower.

HYE-RYUNG
(excited, rises)
Is it really? Let's go.

HR grabs MS by the hand and pulls her out of the room.

MI-SOOK
But- miss!

EXT. GARDEN

HR laughing rushes them both to the garden and runs straight out into the downpour.

MI-SOOK
(yells but also laughs)
Miss! Come back in! This is madness.

HYE-RYUNG
(twirls, yells above the rain)
Isn't it wonderful Kim Mi-sook? I haven't stood like this in the rain since I was a child. Come out, you'll feel marvellous.

MI-SOOK
I certainly cannot. How would it look for me to go prancing around drenched?

HYE-RYUNG
(pauses)
Does this mean I am lacking in decorum?
(holds arms out, looks at her clothes getting wetter and wetter)
But how can it be wrong when it is the happiness of children?
(shakes it off, twirls again)
I don't want to think about decorum or virtue when there's the rain here to enjoy and maybe only for a moment.

The rain comes down even harder. HR squeals with delight.

MI-SOOK
(gives in to HR's infectious joy)
All right, miss. You enjoy it to your heart's content. I am going to get a towel so that when you're finished having your fun, we can get you back inside without creating a lake.

HYE-RYUNG
Thank you, Kim Mi-sook.

HR continues to walk, skip, and twirl around.

INT. CORRIDOR

HR walks on tiptoe through a dark corridor, as if that will keep her from dripping, looking out for MS and giggling.

HYE-RYUNG
I hope she is not too cross. It's only a pond after all, not a lake. Where could she be?

HR makes a turn into a dark side corner and bumps into Gwi who was leaning against the wall in the dark.

HYE-RYUNG
Oh, Your Majesty, I'm sorry.
(brushes off some water droplets that she splattered on him)
It's only water.
(smiles)

GWI
(brows knitted)
What happened to you?

HYE-RYUNG
(shakes off her sleeves, eyes alight)
There's a summer shower, so I went out to enjoy it.
(excited again)
Do you want to come too? It's so much fun.
(realises it's still daytime)
I mean-
(points to the garden)
do you want to come watch the rain? It's very refreshing.
(pats damp hair back, even though it's braided and still mostly in place)

GWI
(down, pensive)
Lead the way then.

HR skips and bounces as she climbs the stairs. Gwi's footsteps are heavy and he's slower than her. She reaches the top of the stairs and looks back, thrilled.

EXT. GARDEN

HYE-RYUNG
Perfect, it's still pouring, sire. You haven't missed it.

They walk up to the railing and lean over. She reaches her hand out to catch some rain and giggles.

HYE-RYUNG (CONT'D)
Put your hand out, Your Majesty.

GWI
I'm all right, thanks.
(straightens)

HYE-RYUNG
Tsk.
(exasperated, then mischievous glint)
Don't be so miserable.

HR laughing, flicks water in his face. Gwi grabs her arm painfully in a reflex. He regrets it but is too proud to apologise. HR gasps and lowers head quickly.

HYE-RYUNG
I'm sorry, Your Majesty. I wasn't thinking.

Gwi looks at HR for a moment, still holding her arm. He sighs and drops her hand. He wipes some of the droplets off his face.

HYE-RYUNG
(quieter now, leans against the railing)
When I was little, if my father was away, my mother would let me play in the rain. I think it was the only time we were really ever happy, when we felt free from his tyranny. I haven't been in the rain since then.

GWI
Why not?

HYE-RYUNG
I didn't think anyone would want to go with me for a walk when it was raining.
(ashamed to admit it)
And I was afraid to ask.
(breathes in, smiles and pulls herself up)
But now I can come to this beautiful garden and get soaked anytime.

Gwi looks down at the state of her dress and body, making her self-conscious.

GWI
(breath laughs)
Yes, please do.

HYE-RYUNG
(wants to turn attention off her)
Your Majesty?

GWI
Mmm.

HYE-RYUNG
How can I be so happy in a place you call hell?

HR sits up on the railing, facing away from the garden, looping her arm around the post.

GWI
It's a mystery to me. What do you think the reason is?

HYE-RYUNG
I can't really figure it out. I mean, I'm not happy all the time, of course, it's only an emotion. But I know why I'm able to be happy. I'm comfortable, safe, healthy, I'm able to learn, I know some kind people, no one is oppressing me or hurting me. But all the servants have that as well, don't they?

GWI
Many of the servants are afraid of me, which is good. They should be. Living with fear hinders happiness.

HR looks at Gwi and then looks around thinking, obviously wondering why she isn't afraid of him.

GWI
(answers her silent question)
You aren't afraid of me yet because you know that I intend to use you for something. And you're relying on that plan to protect you. This state you're in now won't last forever, so I suggest you enjoy it as much as you can now.

HYE-RYUNG
(smiles at him)
Yes, sire. I am trying.

MS rushes up the stairs, stops abruptly on seeing Gwi and bows.

MI-SOOK
I apologise Your Majesty. I was bringing Miss Choi a towel but was delayed for a few minutes helping a new recruit.

GWI
Go ahead.

Gwi exits.

HYE-RYUNG
(watches him as he leaves, worried, everyone at the palace is aware of what bodies are coming and going)
He seems sad today, Kim Mi-sook. Maybe it is because of the girl. I wish I could think of something to cheer his heart.

MI-SOOK
Heart.
(snorts, then whispers)
As if he had a heart.

HYE-RYUNG
(sad, serious)
Don't say that.

MI-SOOK
How can you be so good, my lady? Of course, you're right. It is unwise to speak lowly of the gods. Not that he's a god. Maybe he is, I don't know. These things are far beyond my understanding. But he's certainly more than a man.
(light-heartedly)
I will look to you and try to mend my ways.
(holds towel out)
Shall we go back now?

HYE-RYUNG
(smiles)
Thank you, Kim Mi-sook.