24

INT. HR'S ROOM – DAY
SEASON AUTUMN

HR paces back and forth in her room. MS enters.

MI-SOOK
You sent for me, miss?

HYE-RYUNG
Yes, thank you for coming. I've just had an idea. I want to go see Han Jang-su. He hasn't been here in such a long time. Can you take me to him Kim Mi-sook?

MI-SOOK
Yes, of course I can, miss. If I may, what is the purpose of this visit?

HYE-RYUNG
I just want to encourage him to visit again. There was something of a falling out last time he was here so I just want to see if I can persuade him to return.

MI-SOOK
Yes, miss. Let me run and get a small gift so that we won't arrive empty-handed and then I can be ready to go.

INT. JS'S SITTING ROOM

HR and MS wait to see JS in his home. A bottle of alcohol brought by MS sits on the table near them. Maid returns.

MAID
I'm sorry, miss, but the young master is not available to see guests at this time.

This is a turn that HR was not expecting at all.

HYE-RYUNG
Oh, I see. Might there be some other time or day that would be more convenient?
(stretches this question out, hoping the maid will give her more information)

MAID
I apologise but I really cannot say at this time. The young master is very busy with his studies these days and he may not be able to receive guests for quite some time.

HYE-RYUNG
(even more troubled that she has no chance to intervene, recovers for politeness)
Well, that is understandable. Please do give him my best regards and let him know that I long to speak with him at his earliest convenience.

MAID
Yes miss, I will do.

EXT. JS'S COURTYARD

HR and MS exit the house and begin walking back.

HYE-RYUNG
Should I have said it was urgent Kim Mi-sook? I don't know what to do. How can I reach him? If I send him a letter, will he even receive it?

MI-SOOK
(pulls HR's arm to draw her in close while they walk)
Let's stay calm for now, my lady. We will think of something. This is only our first attempt.

Just as HR and MS near the gate to exit, JS calls out and runs up behind them.

JANG-SU
Choi Hye-ryung!
(short of breath)
I'm ever so sorry to turn you away. I thought you might be coming on behalf of that villain, that he had sent you to plead for him, but then it just occurred to me that perhaps you are just as much a victim of his as anyone else.

This is like a slap in the face to HR. MS sees it and is troubled for her mistress but cannot intervene. HR pulls herself together, remembering how she cherishes this man.

HYE-RYUNG
No, not at all Han Jang-su. You're quite mistaken on all accounts. Of course, he didn't send me to beg for him. He would never do such a thing. In fact, I'm putting myself at some risk by being here at all.

JANG-SU
Yes, of course. You need protection, don't you? You want to escape his evil clutches.

HYE-RYUNG
No, Han Jang-su, you've misunderstood everything. I am putting myself at risk because it might displease him to know that I am interfering on his behalf without his permission or knowledge. In fact, now that I'm here, I feel certain that I have done the wrong thing and he will be offended. But I only risk angering him and that's only a risk to me because I don't want to anger him.