44

INT. HR'S ROOM – DAY

MS enters with tea and sits down at the table opposite HR to pour. HR sets the tray to the side and gives MS a serious but small smile.

HYE-RYUNG
Kim Mi-sook. It is clear that I am approaching the darkness at the end of my path. You were right. I am ready to face my destiny now. I know how far I must go. Whenever and however it comes for me, whether it takes me from you or keeps me here, I want you to know that I am full of thankfulness for your presence in my life.

My own mother was so weak and trampled on that she was never able to really care for me. I don't blame her for that; I only feel pity for her. She was young herself and had no one to help her. But you have cared for me in so many ways, in ways I may not even realise. You have comforted and cheered me, you have guided and encouraged me, you have healed my wounds and clung close to me in my suffering. I will never forget your kindness to me.

Both HR and MS have tears in their eyes.

MI-SOOK
(dabs her eyes)
Miss, don't get me started too. I believe you will meet the darkness, but it will not overcome you. I am sure of it. So I will save my words for you for another day.
(smiles)
You just keep going straight on that path, don't look to the right or left. Meet that darkness head on. You'll see. I believe that you have the most powerful of all virtues at your disposal now and it will not fail you.

HYE-RYUNG
What is that?

MI-SOOK
Love, my dear. The gods only know where you learnt that growing up as you did. You certainly never saw it from anyone else, not the kind that you have.

HYE-RYUNG
(smiles, crying)
Yes, you're right Kim Mi-sook. It's not exactly what I thought it'd be. It's so much more. I thought, if I were ever lucky enough to find love, that it would be light and happy. I didn't realise it would be sad and terrifying and hard too. I didn't know it would be sacrificial. But now that I'm here, I really can see no end to its limits. I don't even know when it started. It seems like it's always been here.

MI-SOOK
That's the kind of love that lights up the darkness. You'll see. I'm anxious to see it myself, but for now, let's just enjoy our tea, shall we?

HYE-RYUNG
(laughter bubbles out, wipes her tears and nods)
Yes, please.