11

INT. THRONE ROOM – NIGHT

HYE-RYUNG
Your Highness, are you going for a walk tonight?

GWI
Perhaps, why do you ask? Are you hoping to interrupt my secret thoughts again only to have your own so openly exposed?

HYE-RYUNG
(embarrassed)
I'm sorry, sire. You're right. I didn't mean to intrude.
(turns to go)

GWI
Why are you running away? You cannot always be so sensitive when I tease you, my dear. Tell me, what is it that you wanted to say?

HYE-RYUNG
(not managing but trying to overcome her sensitivity)
Would you take me to the garden where we met?

GWI
Certainly, though I daresay you'll find it rather disappointing. There is nothing extraordinary about it, and less to enjoy at night.

EXT. PATH AND GARDEN

HR and Gwi walk along a path leading to a small garden.

GWI
Why is it that you have never tried to escape? The servants have been ever watchful but you have not made even the slightest attempt.

HYE-RYUNG
Where would I escape to? To whom could I go? Everyone in my family would hand me over instantly to my father. He would either kill me or beat me severely and send me back to you. I am not capable of living alone. I don't know how I would get food or shelter or clothes. That seems to me a much more frightening and treacherous path than this one. For now, I am safe, comfortable, well-fed, well-clothed, even educated here. I could manage none of those things on my own. Sadly, my life under my father would have been much worse than here, so it was something of a relief to escape him.

GWI
Very pragmatic for someone so young. I'm surprised that even at 10 you had such perceptiveness.

HYE-RYUNG
If I knew my father less well, I may have tried to go back when I was young. But unfortunately – or maybe fortunately – I could see very clearly what would happen.

GWI
Did he beat you often?

HYE-RYUNG
Sometimes, when he was angry or felt belittled in some way. I think having power over me and my mother helped him regain his sense of control.

GWI
(spark of anger flashes in Gwi's eyes)
I should think of some suitable way to punish him.

HYE-RYUNG
What is the point of punishing someone who never learns?

GWI
Very true, maybe I should simply kill him then.
(grinning)

HYE-RYUNG
(sighs)
I suppose it will come to that sooner or later. I don't see how it could not.

GWI
You don't seem very bothered by such a thought.
(knows that she is right but doesn't want to confirm it when it's still a long way off)

HYE-RYUNG
No, I almost feel as though it has already happened. Maybe it's because he's so unwavering in his actions. He will keep going and keep pushing. Eventually he'll go too far. I haven't the slightest hope for him.

GWI
Once he dies – or I kill him, assuming your prophetic abilities prove true – then will you plan a great escape?

HYE-RYUNG
(smiles)
No, sire, I don't think so.

GWI
Why ever not? Your family would take you back without him, surely?

HYE-RYUNG
(still smiling)
I have a premonition that somehow, you'd be able to find me. And then maybe they would have to pay some price for taking me in or hiding me. I don't know what purpose I'm meant to serve, but it seems futile to go against you unless I absolutely have to.

GWI
You never will have to, so don't. Put your own life and well-being first and you'll continue living comfortably if not happily.

HYE-RYUNG
I make no promises Your Majesty. For now, I want to live day by day and appreciate all that I do have.

Gwi stops. He doesn't like the resolve in that statement. Motions to the right.

GWI
This is the garden.

Gwi and HR enter. Both lean against a large rock. HR looks up at the sky.

GWI (CONT'D)
You were over there playing with your mother and talking about the stars.

HYE-RYUNG
This does seem like a happy place. I like it here.

HR looks up and sees a shooting star. She gasps, grabs Gwi's arm, and points.

HYE-RYUNG (CONT'D)
Did you see that, Your Majesty? There was a streak of light across the sky. It's gone now. What was it?

Gwi looks down at HR still holding his arm.

HYE-RYUNG (CONT'D)
Oh, I'm so sorry, Your Highness. Forgive me, I was carried away. I didn't mean to-
(grips both her hands and looks down)

GWI
(decides to not push her to the brink, though he would like to)
It's called a shooting star.

HYE-RYUNG
(looks back up)
What does it mean, sire? It is good or bad?

GWI
It's a sign from the gods. A sign of promise and good fortune. They must be blessing you.

HYE-RYUNG
Truly?

GWI
Well, it certainly isn't a sign of blessing for me.

HYE-RYUNG
I will give it to you then.
(smiling)

GWI
You would so quickly throw away a sign from the gods? That is unwise.

HYE-RYUNG
Giving is not throwing away. It is superior to keeping, not inferior.

GWI
Yes, they probably like you for that kind of thought.

HYE-RYUNG
They obviously like you too or they wouldn't push you so hard.

GWI
What makes you think that?

HYE-RYUNG
You don't waste time punishing someone who won't learn. People are cursed for a time so that they can be saved.

GWI
I am not a person.

HYE-RYUNG
Is it not the same for gods?

GWI
Let's return to the palace Choi Hye-ryung. I think we've accomplished what we came out for.

HYE-RYUNG
Yes, sire.

They walk back, quiet and the night heavy between them.