36

INT. THRONE ROOM – DAY

HR enters throne room and stands before Gwi, looking down. She is in a real state, emotionally and physically exhausted, drained.

GWI
Hye-ryung-a, your tutors and maids tell me that you have slept so little in the past few weeks that it is impacting your ability to accomplish your basic daily routines.

HYE-RYUNG
(difficulty even responding)
Yes, sire.

GWI
And despite that, you are refusing to take anything to help you sleep?

HYE-RYUNG
Yes, Your Majesty.
(quietly)
I am afraid to sleep.

GWI
I can't even hear you. Come up here.

HR ascends the steps and stands in front of him. He sees more clearly now the state she is in and sighs.

GWI (CONT'D)
What did you say?

HYE-RYUNG
I am afraid to fall asleep.

GWI
Kim Mi-sook says that you are having nightmares, even with her now sleeping in your room to calm you.

HYE-RYUNG
Yes.

GWI
What are your nightmares?

HYE-RYUNG
(head still down)
They're not all the same. But mostly I am being chased. Or attacked. And it's so dark that I can't see anything, except for the eyes of the attacker. They are like fire. I yell out but no one comes. I usually wake myself up yelling. Kim Mi-sook is also getting no sleep because of me.

GWI
Hye-ryung-a, look at me.
(she does, exhaustion lining her features)
This will stop now. You have become pale and weak. You are struggling even to stand at this point. You cannot continue forcefully deteriorating your own health. You will take what Kim Mi-sook gives you every night and try to get what sleep you can.

HYE-RYUNG
(exhaustion and fear bring on tears)
Yes, sire.

GWI
(sighs, lowers tone)
I don't think the solution is to have you come sleep with me or vice versa. But if you cannot manage to make any improvements on your own within a week then I am going to force the matter. Is that clear?

Gwi doesn't want this himself but thinks he could quickly and easily turn it to his advantage if needed. HR is shocked but also so desperate and afraid that this almost sounds like a good option.

HYE-RYUNG
Yes, sire. I will do my best.

GWI
Come here. Let me see your arm.

Gwi carefully checks HR's injured arm.

GWI
How much are you able to move it?

HR moves her arm as much as she is able to while speaking, nearly full range of motion.

HYE-RYUNG
It is much improved, Your Majesty. I am almost able to use it normally.

GWI
Good. Though in this state you may fall and make it worse. See that that doesn't happen. Kim Mi-sook will take you for a walk now and will give you something after so that you can try to rest. See that you take everything she prescribes. And fully.

HYE-RYUNG
Yes, sire.