34

INT. HR'S ROOM – NIGHT

HR and MS stand behind a screen. MS helps HR to put the top of her dress back on. HR's arm has been hurt. There is only one candle in the room.

MI-SOOK
My lady, you really should put your nightwear on.

HYE-RYUNG
I feel more comfortable in this for now.

Gwi bursts into the room. HR and MS jump from fright. MS leaves HR behind the screen to speak with Gwi.

GWI
Is she there?

MI-SOOK
Yes, sire.

GWI
Is she bleeding?

MI-SOOK
She has a cut on her lip but the bleeding has stopped. Other than that, I can find only bruises. Her arm is injured.

GWI
Bring us more candles, as many as you can. And jujube tea to help her sleep.

MI-SOOK
Yes, sire.

MS rushes from the room.

GWI
Hye-ryung-a come out from behind the screen.

HYE-RYUNG
Yes, Your Majesty, let me get my top on properly-

Gwi throws aside the screen, which crashes to the ground, sending other objects flying.

GWI
I said come out!

HR is already terrified and shaking uncontrollably. Her top is half off. Gwi's fury just increases on seeing her.

GWI
(yells out)
Where are the candles?

HR jumps each time Gwi yells. Gwi takes the one candle in the room and holds it near HR's face, seeing the red marks that would soon colour over.

MS enters with as many candles as she can manage with another maid behind, carrying tea on a tray. They both work to place the candles around the room and begin lighting as rapidly as possible. MS picks up the screen, folds it and puts it to the side, straightening other minor bits and pieces. Gwi looks at HR's good arm and shoulder. The maids finish.

MI-SOOK
Would you like more candles, sire?

GWI
That's enough. Leave us.

MI-SOOK
Yes, Your Majesty.

GWI
I'm taking this off to see your arm.

Gwi pulls the rest of her top off carefully. HR still winces in the process. He looks it over and asks her to move what she can.

GWI (CONT'D)
You won't be able to use this for a few weeks. Keep it bent and close to your body. Try not to move it. Let me see your legs.

HR's reflex goes to hold her skirt down. She hurts her one arm in the process. She is still very much in shock.

HYE-RYUNG
Please, Your Highness. I can't. Kim Mi-sook has looked at me already. She says the only concern is my arm. I know she's right from all the beatings I took before. I am not seriously injured. Please.

Because of HR's state of shock, Gwi gives in. He yells for MS again who hadn't gone far. She enters almost immediately.

MI-SOOK
Yes, sire.