39

INT. HR'S ROOM – NIGHT

HR writes in her room late at night. Gwi walks by, sees her light on and comes in without warning. HR is startled but happy to see him. She rises as Gwi enters and questions her, moving to the other side of her table. Both sit down.

GWI
Why are you still awake? Where is Kim Mi-sook?

HYE-RYUNG
Hello, Your Majesty. I am just up writing. I am trying to sleep on my own again now.

GWI
Are you able to?

HYE-RYUNG
I am not entirely successful, but I only just started trying two nights ago. I think it will get better if I continue.

GWI
And what is this?
(gestures to her writing)

HYE-RYUNG
(beaming smile)
I thought I might keep my own diary, something like the Veritable Records but not important at all. It is very simple.

Gwi looks through some of the sheets as the conversation continues.

HYE-RYUNG (CONT'D)
What I do in a day, people that come here, lists of things I'm reading or learning. I am enjoying it immensely.

HR looks around her room and notices that her candles have burned down quite a bit.

HYE-RYUNG (CONT'D)
Is it very late? I hadn't realised.

GWI
Yes, there are only a few hours now until daylight.

HYE-RYUNG
Is it true that you don't sleep at all, sire?

GWI
No. I sleep when I am bored to pass the time.
(grins)
And sometimes I sleep socially. But I don't need sleep.

HYE-RYUNG
So, it's the same as food for you then?

GWI
Yes.
(looks up from her sheets)
Who are you writing this for?

HYE-RYUNG
(blank look)
Sire?

GWI
Who is meant to read this? Is it meant for your future family? Your children and grandchildren?

HYE-RYUNG
I hadn't really thought of that. I've only just begun it. And only because it seemed like it would be entertaining to create records.
(more seriously)
I don't know my future at all. How could I even begin to think of having a family?

GWI
Quite right, it was a thoughtless question.
(waves away her concern)
It's good for you to have something keeping your mind engaged. Once you have a stack of sheets built up, let me know. We'll hire a scribe to bind it for you into a booklet.

HYE-RYUNG
(eyes light up)
Really, Your Majesty? I should think about how to organise it then so that the binding makes sense, something like one booklet a year maybe.

GWI
While that gives you even more to think about and plan, I suggest you save it for tomorrow. If you don't get any sleep you will struggle to be productive.

HYE-RYUNG
Yes, sire. Thank you.

Gwi leaves but hears her squeal of delight after he closes her door.