25

INT. GWI'S ROOM – DAY

HR hovers outside of Gwi's chambers. Gwi can see her shadow near the door and just watches for a moment, waiting to see what she'll do. HR finally musters her courage.

HYE-RYUNG
Your Majesty?

GWI
Come in.
(as she does)
What on earth has brought you pacing around my door, goddess?

HR enters troubled and trembling, but also curious about his room which she's never been in before. She focuses on him and kneels down to apologise.

HYE-RYUNG
Sire, please forgive me. I have done something wrong.

GWI
Well, I hope it's at least interesting.

HYE-RYUNG
(ashamed to admit her interference)
I visited Han Jang-su today. I thought maybe I could persuade him to visit us again. But I was wrong. And I should not have gone. I can see that now. I am sorry I interfered, especially without you knowing.

GWI
(deflated, he doesn't have the heart to pick at her over this)
Did he want to save you?

HYE-RYUNG
(looks up, surprised he knows, looks back down quickly)
Yes, my lord.

GWI
And what did you say to that?

HYE-RYUNG
(quietly)
I told him I'd never desert you.

GWI
(pauses to consider that)
Don't worry about interfering. You haven't spoiled any plans of mine and whatever Jang-su thinks of you or me is really none of my concern. I will deal with him in time. But why risk telling me at all when you were so obviously worried about my reaction?

HYE-RYUNG
I felt when I was with him that I had deceived you by being there without your knowledge. Or at least it felt like a betrayal of some sort. Maybe it was just because of the way he spoke. I don't really know.

GWI
Yes, I can imagine. I suggest not thinking about it anymore.

HYE-RYUNG
Yes, sire. Thank you.

HR has calmed down now, relieved that Gwi is not angry. She looks around a bit. Gwi raises his eyebrows, wondering what more HR wants.

HYE-RYUNG (CONT'D)
This is a lovely room, Your Majesty. It suits you.
(smiles at him)

GWI
In what way?

HYE-RYUNG
I don't really know. It just seems like yours. Everything looks expensive.
(giggles)

GWI
Yes, there are a lot of antiques I suppose.

HYE-RYUNG
I'd be afraid to have them so close to me. I'd hate to damage something so beautiful.
(looks at a large vase)

GWI
Hye-ryung-a.

HYE-RYUNG
Yes, Your Majesty?

GWI
If you continue to stay here, we're going to have some interesting chatter going around about what we might have been doing all this time.

HR jumps up.

GWI (CONT'D)
I don't mind, but then I prefer it when nasty rumours are true.
(laughs at her)
Go on. Escape while you can.

HYE-RYUNG
Thank you, sire. Good day.

HR leaves the room, closing the door carefully behind her.

GWI
(to himself)
Make her stay next time.
(breath laughs)