5

INT. CORRIDOR – NIGHT

Gwi walks through corridor, passing HR. She stops and turns.

HYE-RYUNG
Sire, are you going for a walk?

GWI
Yes.

HYE-RYUNG
May I join you?

GWI
Do you have some pitiful plot to escape my evil clutches once you are outside of the palace walls?

HYE-RYUNG
(embarrassed, hurt)
No, I only thought it would be pleasant to be outside. And perhaps you might like some company.

GWI
A night stroll with a vampire – this is your idea of a pleasing activity? How macabre of you.

HYE-RYUNG
You're the only friend I have.

GWI
It seems unwise to think of your captor as your friend, Hye-ryung-a, especially one who has killed countless individuals. Surely the servants or your tutors are better suited for that role.

HYE-RYUNG
They don't like to speak with me. They believe I'm cursed because you chose me to live here.

GWI
It's difficult to disagree with their logic.

HR winces. Gwi wonders if she is becoming a comfort to him.

GWI (CONT'D)
All the same, you may come if you like. We can be cursed together.

EXT. PATH

Gwi and HR outside, walking side-by-side on a path.

HYE-RYUNG
(breathes deeply)
Isn't it wonderfully refreshing to be out for a walk?

GWI
In the dark? Solitary and lonely I'd say.

HYE-RYUNG
I was thinking more 'quiet and peaceful'. What do you normally think about on your walks?

GWI
My thoughts are not meant to be shared with someone like you. They're not to be shared with anyone.

HYE-RYUNG
Oh, I'm sorry, Your Majesty, I-

GWI
Why don't you tell me about what you're learning?

HYE-RYUNG
(relieved at redirection)
So many things! My tutors are so knowledgeable, but my favourite is drawing.

GWI
And how do you learn from your tutors if they won't speak with you?

HYE-RYUNG
(quietly)
Well, they say what they need to and then they comment on my work.
(looks away)
I'm not allowed to speak to them.

Gwi flares up in a small burst of anger, realising HR is serious. Gwi stops and turns to HR.

GWI
Are you telling me that this is more than superstitious and stupid caution, that you've been snubbed by my lowly servants for years now? Why did you not tell me before today? The tutors and servants must treat you with proper respect. I will deal with it when we return.

HYE-RYUNG
Oh no, please, sire. Don't say anything to them.

GWI
I cannot have them dishonouring you in my own palace. It is disrespectful to me.

HYE-RYUNG
I would prefer their open distrust to false kindness. At least it is honest. What's more, they may become angry and try to punish me in all sorts of ways if they realise that I have said anything to you about them. I am not like you. I am not more powerful than they are. And I have learned to be content with things as they are.

GWI
You don't seem to realise that this is not entirely about you. My servants do not have a choice in how to behave within my walls. They will act with dignity and deference at all times or I will remove them. As to your concern for your well-being, they would not dare harm something that belongs to me.

HYE-RYUNG
(bows head)
Yes, Your Majesty. Of course, you're right. I hadn't thought of it from your perspective. I apologise.

Gwi sighs, needing a turn of conversation. He faces forward and begins to walk again. HR following his lead.

GWI
You enjoy drawing then. What have you been drawing?

HYE-RYUNG
(brightens somewhat)
I have done landscapes and I'm currently working on portraiture. My tutor says I need more practice but I have promise.

GWI
Show them to me.

HYE-RYUNG
(pales slightly)
Your Majesty?

GWI
Show them to me. Where are they?

HYE-RYUNG
My portfolio is in my room, but truly it's not necessary. They are merely drawings for practice-

GWI
Let's go back. I'd like to see them.

HR's obvious concern piques Gwi's curiosity. Gwi retraces their steps quickly. HR reluctantly hurries after him.