30

INT. HR'S ROOM – DAY

MS enters HR's room with a new dress.

MI-SOOK
My lady, there is an upcoming night of festivities you will be attending. It is our grand yearly event. His Majesty sent this dress and said he expects you to engage with the guests throughout the evening, though you may avoid your father - wretched man that he is! - for most of it. Miss, he is still not himself. Please be careful. I'm sure you will be on his right for the dinner.

HYE-RYUNG
(smiles kindly)
I will be careful, Kim Mi-sook, and do exactly as he says. I have no wish to upset His Majesty needlessly. If he is not himself, I'm sure I won't know what to do or how to behave, but I can be obedient. If something happens to me, you can know that I tried.
(smiles again)

MI-SOOK
Oh Ms Choi don't say such a thing! You can't take it so lightly.

HYE-RYUNG
How are the other servants?

MI-SOOK
Still in a fright. Everyone dreads making a mistake and throwing him into a temper.

HYE-RYUNG
We'll have to do our best and hope that the merrymaking lightens his burdens somewhat.

MI-SOOK
Well, miss, if anyone can do it, it's you.

HYE-RYUNG
Why do you say that?

MI-SOOK
No one cares for him here as you do, though some respect him. Care is a very powerful weapon against despair. But as a weapon, it can also be painful. Mind how you are. His anger could land on any target these days.

HYE-RYUNG
I will remember your words Kim Mi-sook, I promise.

MI-SOOK
Very good. Shall we try on this dress?

HYE-RYUNG
Yes, let's do.