42

INT. CORRIDOR– DAY

PM turns and comes through corridor having just met with Gwi. HR comes from the other end and turns to see him approaching. Her face hardens. PM blocks HR's path.

PRIME MINISTER
(smirks, speaking lowly)
You know, I wasn't surprised at all to learn that you've added whoring to your list of admirable qualities. But what a partner you've chosen.
(chuckles)

HR looks forward blankly, ignoring PM.

PRIME MINISTER (CONT'D)
Look down when I am speaking to you!

PM raises his hand to strike HR. HR looks at PM directly.

HYE-RYUNG
If you hit me, he will not hesitate to kill you.

PRIME MINISTER
(enraged, lowers his shaking hand, puts his face closer to hers)
You always were stupid and entirely too dependent on others to help you, so like your useless mother. I was relieved to be rid of you. No one mourned your loss. Someday he will tire of you or no longer need you. You can be sure of that. And when that time comes, I suggest you run for your life because I will kill you the first chance I get.

In the middle of this speech, Gwi comes up a side corridor but stays in the shadows, possibly hoping he'll have a reason to kill PM here and now.

HYE-RYUNG
I cannot imagine what you mean, my lord. Please move so I may pass.

PRIME MINISTER
Insolent slag. Your day is coming. I'll teach you such a lesson then.

PM brushes past HR. HR walks forward showing no emotion. As she comes to the corridor where Gwi is, something catches her eye. She jumps and makes a small noise out of fright. Then she laughs a bit when she realises who it is.

HYE-RYUNG
I'm sorry, Your Majesty. I didn't realise it was you.

Gwi comes closer to her and she sees that he is fuming. In fear she puts her head down and waits silently. He pulls her chin up to look at her face, moving it from side to side to see if there are any marks.

GWI
Did he lay a hand on you?

HYE-RYUNG
(smiles at Gwi)
No, sire. He is too afraid of you to dare try anything.

GWI
The single thread which is holding his life in tact at the moment. Even that is going to snap very soon. In fact, I don't want you to keep crossing his path. He may very likely lose control of himself. I will tell the steward to notify you of his comings and goings so that you can avoid the corridors and the throne room. Of course, you won't be able to sit in on meetings anymore but I think you've learned enough from the experience.

HYE-RYUNG
Yes, Your Majesty. Thank you. I will be only too happy to avoid him.

GWI
Don't think twice about his empty threats. I will certainly kill him before you leave here.

HYE-RYUNG
(troubled)
Yes, sire. Thank you.

GWI
What is it?

HYE-RYUNG
Only I'd never thought far enough ahead to imagine leaving.

GWI
Well, there's no sense worrying about it now. It will come soon enough.

HYE-RYUNG
Yes, sire.