29

INT. THRONE ROOM – DAY

Gwi has been absent for some time. Now he is back in his throne room. HR comes to return his robe which she has cleaned. She waits until Gwi has finished with the minister he's currently talking with. She peeks around the corner.

GWI
Come here if you need something.

HR hurries forward.

HYE-RYUNG
I am just returning your robe, Your Majesty.

GWI
Leave it with a servant.

HYE-RYUNG
Yes, of course, sire.
(pause)

GWI
You may leave if there's nothing further.

HYE-RYUNG
Yes, sire.

INT. CORRIDOR

HR bows and leaves, baffled at Gwi's short replies. She quickly finds MS walking through the corridor with another servant who leaves as they being speaking.

HYE-RYUNG
Kim Mi-sook, can you please put this in His Majesty's chambers? He told me to leave it with a servant.

MI-SOOK
(gasps, hushed tones)
Did you speak with him today?

HYE-RYUNG
Yes, only a moment ago. Why?

SITTING ROOM

MS takes the robe from HR and pulls her into the closest room, closing the door.

MI-SOOK
Miss. Don't speak with him now unless he calls for you. He's been running wild again and everyone is nearly out of their minds with fright.

HYE-RYUNG
What do you mean running wild?

MI-SOOK
He has spells sometimes when he goes hunting all night and has the servants stock up the cellars with more blood than usual. No one can say for sure the cause of the spells, but avoid him unless he wants you. If he does call for you, be absolutely submissive and say as little as possible unless he wants you to talk. Whatever he wants, do it without hesitation. You are probably safer than the rest of us, but please be careful.

HYE-RYUNG
How often does this happen?

MI-SOOK
I've been here for about 20 years and I've only seen it once before myself. We lost some of the servants then. They were careless.

HYE-RYUNG
Thank you for telling me, Kim Mi-sook. I will be as careful as I can be.

HR leaves, walking gingerly back to her room.