40

INT. THRONE ROOM – DAY

Gwi sits on his throne with his steward opposite.

GWI
One of my gold bracelets has gone missing. I don't care where it is or why it is missing. But it will be returned by the end of the day. This palace is cleaned on a daily basis and particularly my rooms, so even if it has only fallen somewhere, the cleaners should be able to locate it.

STEWARD
Yes, Your Majesty.

The Steward quickly leaves.

LATER

MS rushes into throne room, somewhat breathless.

MI-SOOK
Sire, please forgive the interruption. I believe there's been a misunderstanding.

GWI
Do tell.

MI-SOOK
Your Majesty, the night after- after Ms Choi had been attacked, when I was sitting with her, she woke up and found a gold bracelet in her bedding. Since then, she's gone to sleep every night clutching it until she falls asleep. She won't let anyone else touch it. And she won't listen to me and put it to the side of her bed where she can easily find it. Whenever she wakes up, of course, she's no longer holding it which has often led to a great deal of distress and searching in the dark for it.

I am certain, sire, that she didn't mean to steal it. She will be horrified when she finds out you are looking for it, even more so if she knows what I've just told you.
(lowers her head further, quieter)
She must think that you left it for her.

GWI
(grins, tries to take it lightly)
All right, all right Kim Mi-sook. Tell the steward to call the search off and, as they already know I'm sure, tell him to ensure the servants don't go on discussing the matter. Don't bother Hye-ryung by telling her anything about it.

MI-SOOK
Thank you, Your Majesty.

MS leaves directly. Gwi's façade fades as MS goes. He sighs.