Chapter 35

My whole body is definitely shaky and woozy when the bike turns off. The vibration of it all, the sound and adrenalin of it all. Holt has to help me down and I see Koda's car on the other side of the street.

It seems it must've rained earlier because the ground is wet and the air around me is chilly, my breaths coming out in mist. The contrast in the weather shocks me. The three of us cross the street and stand in front of the house. It looks nice and spacious. I follow them up the driveway and Holt pushes the door open. All the lights are on inside and I hear faint noises.

Right across from us is a kitchen with paper plates strewn on the counters. There's an open sliding door and I see people outside. Leo and Holt walk toward the sliding door and outside with me in tow. I notice three men are on the ground, there's a bit of blood on their faces and I assume they've been knocked out.

My body goes rigid with fear. There's another guy on his knees next to a built - in pool. In front of him is Koda, holding a guy up, his fist raised. Koda is looking at me and it's as if time stops and we're the only two that can move.

He drops the guy he's holding and everything unpauses. His glare is deadly as he walks toward us. "What are you doing here? What is she doing here?"

His voice is clipped, he's still angry. His brows are furrowed, jaw clenched. Despite it being cold, I notice droplets of sweat on his forehead. Beating those guys up must've been a workout. I know the three on the ground are still alive yet their unmoving bodies bother me. Did Koda really knock them out just by himself? The thought makes me sick to my stomach and I turn around, wrapping my arms around me before I walk back inside.

I walk through the house and look at the living room. There's a blanket crumpled up on the three seater couch but I walk out the front door. I hear footsteps behind me and I stop in front of his car. "Quinn-"

"Please take me home." I hear the car unlock before his footsteps as he walks to the driver's side. I get into the car the same time as he does and strap myself in. He pulls the sun visor down and pulls a joint and lighter out. He pushes it back up and starts the car before we drive off. His window is open which brings in cold air. I lean my head against the frame and watch the waves as we drive.

We soon arrive at his house and I'm feeling a bit tired. When we get inside he closes the front curtains and switches off the lights before going upstairs. I notice our shoes strewn on the floor. Only then do I realise we've both still been barefoot the whole time. I make my way upstairs and take a quick glance at the nursery, where Lumi would've been.

I open the door of his room and find him strewn on the bed with his eyes closed. He's not bothered to change. I close the door behind me and look for my pajamas, prepared to take a shower.

"Quinn." He calls softly but I hear him. "Yeah?"

Is he going to apologize? Is he going to tell me why he beat them up?

"Come here." I'm confused as I turn around and walk over to him. He tugs on my dress and I bend down. He takes my face and plants a kiss on my cheek before he lets go.

When I wake up the next morning, the bed is empty. I take a quick shower and change into tracksuit pants and a jersey. The clouds are out and it is pretty cold. I go downstairs and to the kitchen. I find cereal and get a bowl out but the doorbell rings. I freeze and slowly walk toward the door. I hope it isn't Linds.

Who else would be here? The door is unlocked thankfully and I'm surprised to see a police woman and man standing there. My heart races and I'm trying to think of the possibilities why they might be here. Is it Koda? Is it about Lumi or the guys last night? Or is it Corbin? The last one frightens me the most. "Quinn Platten?"