Chapter 17

On my way home, my head is buzzing with thoughts. Thoughts about who Lucky's boyfriend is, thoughts about Holt and Leo and Ji.

Especially Ji.

Is he really dangerous? Bronwyn didn't mention anything about Ji being dangerous. She did say Nevan was dangerous. I still have to ask her about that. How did it get to this? It's like I'm suddenly surrounded by hot guys. Does this mean they're my friends now?

Will I ever see Holt and Leo again? I can't lie, they were both insanely attractive. Maybe I shouldn't have turned down the offer to go with Holt to the club. There's no point though, seeing as I am just a random girl. I'm so lost in my thoughts that I don't notice the familiar white car parked in front of my apartment. "Wow, you look stunning. No work today?"

His voice stops me in my tracks and I find him leaning against his car. "What are you doing here?"

Ji's smile vanishes and he pushes his hands into his hoodie pocket. "I came here to see you." I didn't mean for it to sound so rude but I'm surprised to find him here. I was pretty sure I wouldn't see him again.

"Well, what do you want?" Now that he's here, I can't help but think about what Lucky said. That he's dangerous. What could she possibly mean? He sighs. "Can we go inside and speak?" I shake my head. There's no way I'm letting him inside the apartment. I don't know how Bronwyn is able to let guys in but I can't stand the embarrassment.

"No. Say what you want here." If Ji is dangerous then I don't want to be involved with him in any way. I'd rather keep my distance.

But I can't help but think about the moment he kissed my forehead. Was it really a special moment? Or was it just for show?

"Look, I'm sorry okay? You were asking too many questions and it made me mad. I didn't mean to snap at you and I wasn't annoyed with you, I swear." He gazes at me, waiting for an answer. "I know who you are." For a second, he looks scared. "What the fuck do you mean?" He asks, his eyes narrowing and his jaw clenching. Here we go again.

"You're a player. You sleep with girls and I'm not going to be one of them. Maybe you thought putting up a nice façade in front of my mom was gonna fool me but it didn't." For some reason he looks almost relieved but his frown is back. "You thought I was gonna fuck you and toss you to the side? I wanted to fucking kiss you Quinn but I didn't want to ruin what we had."

"But you did. All I did was ask about Lumi and you went feral."

"Because..." He trails off, searching the ground for an answer. "Because what? Because you don't want your flings to know about your history?"

"Because Lumi's my daughter!"

What?

"I didn't want you to know because... well, no one knows and who the fuck goes after someone with a kid?"

I'm beyond shocked. Lumi is Ji's daughter?

My brain can't seem to comprehend it and I step a little closer to him. "She isn't your sister?"

He looks up at me and shakes his head. The look on his face is so sad that I want to hug him and hold him. "No. This girl said she was on birth control so I wasn't worried when the condom broke. She came to me a few months later and told me she was pregnant with my kid. At first I didn't believe her and she said we could do a paternity test once the baby was born. But when Lumi was born, she left. Vanished. Moved away to wherever, leaving me with Lumi."

It's beginning to make sense now. Why she lives with him. He said no one knows though. Isn't this something you tell people?

"Why haven't you told anyone?" He scoffs. "I have a reputation to hold. No one's gonna take me seriously if they find out I have a fucking child."