Sweets

I took a walk.

The estate was big enough to allow me some alone time. If they wanted to follow me like little lost puppies, they were going to have to make an effort.

I suddenly realized why I might have thought I was being watched. The amount of employees they had took me by surprise—and boy were they friendly.

"Are you Miss Sabrina?" An older woman called out to me. She was walking with a man about her age when we chanced upon each other at a big fountain in the middle of yet another garden, "I am Cheryl Dixon and this is my husband, Clive."

"Oh, hi!" We shook hands as I met the two people who were also living on my wing of the mansion, "It's so nice to meet you."

"And you," Cheryl beamed, "We've heard so many nice things about you."

"Y-you have?" I furrowed my brows, "I can't say I understand that given my history with the Calhoun's."

"Oh, nonsense!" Cheryl said as Clive beamed from ear to ear, "They've taken quite a liking to you, Miss Sabrina."

"Please...call me Sabrina. If you'd prefer me to call you,-"

"No no! Cheryl and Clive are perfect for you to call us, but if you wouldn't mind, we'll still call you Miss until we are permitted not to."

Again? Just like with Maggie.

"I haven't been given those rules..maybe that will happen later," I joked.

As if they'd said too much, Clive ushered the two along.

"We'll be seeing you back at the house, Miss." He tipped his hat as they continued on.

The grounds were sprawling and quite lovely. I thought about my night with Xander. I thought too much about Xander, actually.

Shaking my head, I rounded yet another fountain filled with koi fish. I was in awe at this. My aunt and uncle never really kept their home up like this. It felt dreary and sad most of the time, but I tried so hard not to let on how lonely I was.

"Hey, fish... I bet you're well taken care of here at the Calhoun crazy house, huh?" I had to remember that I needed to simmer down on talking to myself, but I was all I had.

There were more gardens and fountains, statues of people I didn't know, the guest houses and the employee homes—if they chose to live on the estate.

I waved to the workers and they waved back, some stopping to stare at me as if I'd trampled into uncharted waters. I know I probably looked like a hot mess, but the stares almost felt like the ones I'd been sensing in my room.

My phone buzzed in my pocket and I was happy to see it was Tina calling.

"Hi! What's up, girl?"

She laughed, "No no no! You need to tell me what's up! How's the job?"

"I start Monday, but Xander and I swam in their pool together—about three or so this morning?"

"What?! Just the two of you?"

"Yes, but stop because nothing happened."

"You need to get laid. They're gonna know you, ya know..haven't..."

I paused. Did that matter?

"Why is that important?"

"Xander's a freak about that. He likes to be the first."

"Oh..." I didn't know why that irritated me so much.

"Don't worry, he wasn't mine."

"Oh.." I breathed a sigh of relief, "How's Virginia?"