Chapter 11

The day before the girls and I film the music video for "Weavers" with Jungkook, we head for the beauty parlor.

And it's not for me or the girls.

"I don't know about this," Jungkook says, rubbing the back of his head.

"It's for the good of our group," I say, pointing a finger up at the shop, which sits on the second floor with pink lights that spell out "On Par Parlor" and blackout curtains for top secrecy. "On the surface beauty doesn't mean anything," I say. "But lots of women like to dress up and do the most, because they want to reflect their inner beauty."

"That makes me feel... about one percent better about this," Jungkook says.

I steal a glance at him out of the corner of my eye. Jungkook is guarded, as he always is around me, but the month of constant practice together has at least made us comfortable together. If not completely amicable.

"Just be thankful that we're coming along with you," Jesstina says. "You are going to be stunning."

Nabi hums. "And if you're really not comfortable, I'm sure we can negotiate...."

Jesstina shoots her with her glare. "Nabi. It took us so long just to convince Jungkook to come here."

Nabi isn't fazed by Jesstina's fake anger. "Okay."

I snap my finger. "Jungkook, get ready for your makeover."

Leading my team up the steps, I squint in the darkness and follow the sign up to the pink door. Entering, I'm greeted with squeals from the staff. They know me and the girls very well—but Nabi, Jesstina, and I are already dolled up to the gods. All the focus will be on the golden boy.

"We'll start with your extensions," says the head artist.

Jungkook sits in one of the salon chairs while the girls and I gather around. Nabi takes out her phone to snap pictures, while Jesstina vocalizes every moment when Jungkook's hair changes.

It takes forever, meaning two and a half hours. But Jesstina and Nabi are Jungkook's biggest cheerleaders along the arduous operation. I just sit on the opposite salon chair, glancing every few minutes to check the process.

Jungkook's hair turns into a mane—and although it isn't freakishly long, it will be long enough to cause a stir among the netizens.

I'm reminded of my first visit to the shop. All my parents could afford in Chicago was a visit to the cheapest local barber. My mom always said that I didn't need to look pretty when I was young—I just needed to do well in school. My dad wanted to send me to a nicer barber, but we couldn't afford it, and I didn't want to press the subject. When I got to On Par Parlor, it took ten hours to completely alter my hairstyle, nails, eyelashes, and eyebrows. And I can't forget about my embarrassing amount of peach fuzz.

After Jungkook's extensions are complete, the Fates' filming team brings their cameras for a reaction from all of us. Nabi and Jesstina hold hands, almost in reverence. Jungkook stares at himself in the mirror, wide-eyed like he can't recognize himself.

I clasp my hands and try not to think about how pretty Jungkook is. Honestly, he'll put me and the girls to shame if he continues on this path.

"Eyelashes next?" I check with the head artist.

Once he confirms the next round, Jungkook lies down in his chair, and another artist takes over—this will take another two hours.

Jesstina, Nabi, and I grow tired, and we sit on the chairs in the little waiting area, sipping on hot black tea while the comforting lights of the parlor almost lull us to sleep.

"Isn't it unfair?" Jesstina whispers to me.

I almost ask what she means, but I can grasp the context in a second. "If I were as pretty," I say, "I'd...."

"You'll what?" Jesstina says.

I snicker. "I'd change my name to match my prettiness. Something like... Hydrangea."

Nabi, Jesstina, and I burst into laughter. I don't even know why—nothing I said was that funny. Maybe it's the sleep deprivation that's been kicking in lately—as our practice times lengthen, preparing for the perfect debut day.

As we calm down, I think about how grateful I am for them. In all my years in school, I could count my friends on one hand. Meeting Nabi, Jesstina, and Yuna was the best thing that could've happened to me after becoming a trainee.

"Are you both nervous?" Nabi asks me after we calm down. "Just a few more weeks."

Until our debut. We've been counting down for ages. I nod as Jesstina mutters an "of course."

Nabi turns toward Jungkook, thoughtfulness cast across her countenance. "I'm glad we have Jungkook. If we didn't, we would still be reeling about the loss of Yuna."

Something in me rises up, lighting the space under my tongue. "I think we're still reeling."

"But not as bad," Jesstina says. "Jungkook is a very handsome distraction."

I shake my head, still feeling guilty for being the only one to vote "no" in regards to letting him into the Fates. I stand up and saunter over to Jungkook alone.

"How do you feel on the pretty scale?" I ask him.

He grunts. Sometimes, our communication is stilted like that—but it's better than nothing. "I feel like a real life doll."

"That's the goal," I say.

He hums, shifting a bit on his chair. The faux leather squeaks out in resistance.

I head over to where some of the other stylists are lighting a candle. It's limoncello scented, and I breathe in, channeling my inner calm and measuredness, while Jungkook finishes up with his eyelashes.

When it's time for the final step of Jungkook's beautification process, Nabi, Jesstina, and I gather around and pick out the charms that will go on his nails.

I pick out a mini rainbow and some bows. Jesstina goes for a big diamond, while Nabi picks out some tiny gemstones.

"I'm exhausted," Jungkook says. "How do you girls do this?"

Jesstina laughs. "It's easier when you have a partner. Sorry that we're already beautiful."

"Are you saying that I was ugly before?" Jungkook asks, putting a hand to his chest in mock offense.

"We're saying that you improved tremendously," Jesstina says, grinning widely.

Nabi reaches out. "Can I?" she says.

Jungkook shifts his chair closer so that Nabi can run her fingers through his hair. "Stunning," Nabi says, when she's finished tousling him.

"Don't get used to it," I say. "All of this temporary beauty will fade, and you'll be back here before you know it. Maybe in a month."

Jungkook pouts. I think he would cross his arms if the nail tech wasn't laying down his base coat. "Speak for yourself," he says. "No way I'm coming back here in one month."

I smile. When Jungkook notices, he averts his gaze.

A/N: It's the beauty parlor! We don't get to see the beautifying process a lot of the times for our favorite groups, but I'm sure it's intense

If you got a chance to go, what would you be excited to get done? I would probably ask for the cutest gel nails. Or I'd dye my hair a pastel color, lol.