Chapter 18

The weight of my laptop aches my back, even though it isn't that heavy. I dread tonight, but I push through, following Nabi and Jesstina as they walk briskly through an alley into a hole-in-the-wall restaurant.

Jungkook ambles behind me, and he hums "The Girl Who Flew"—annoyingly, but also kind of adorable. I need to check myself, but first I need to get through tonight.

"Why'd you bring your backpack?" Jungkook asks—very timely of him.

"You'll find out soon," I say, without looking backward. His stare might completely unravel me.

The scent of pho and spring rolls floats up my nostrils. And although I'm overwhelmed, I smile after finding the six other members of BTS, sitting around a large table in the center of the restaurant. They all rise to greet us, gasping at Jungkook's pretty obvious transformation.

"Jungkook," Jin says, eyes comically wide. "I didn't know you had it in you."

"Hyung," Jungkook groans. "This is why I was embarrassed to see you all."

"We've always needed a woman in our group," Namjoon says, wearing a smirk. "Anyway, we're here to celebrate the debut of the Fates. After a week of being an official group, how do you feel?"

It isn't until I feel the pressure of multiple pairs of eyes, that I realize that Namjoon expects me to answer. I clear my throat, taking in the solitude of this restaurant—there's no one here except for my members, BTS, and a few staff members. "It's everything and more," I say. "This is what the girls and I have been pushing towards. Now that we're finally idols, we feel as though we can finally share our message. Carving out your own fate—we can't wait until every fan realizes this truth."

Nabi glances at her feet, and I realize that she's holding back tears. Jesstina squeezes her lips together, also trying to ward off a wave of emotion. The only one in our group who's smiling is Jungkook, and he takes the lead by saying, "I think it's time to eat."

That's something we all can agree on.

Nabi is the most definite foodie. As the waitress brings out plates of meat to barbecue on the grills before us, Nabi takes control. She grows quiet as she places pork belly and beef on the fire, expertly cooking with caution and prowess. Jesstina marvels as she always does when Nabi grills like a master chef.

The boys fall into easy conversation, catching up on what each one is doing during the hiatus. When it's Jungkook's turn, he lets out a little chuckle. "I have probably the most to share out of everyone. I debuted for the second time within a decade. I got a complete makeover, and now I'm dorming again...."

"With three girls," Yoongi says. "That's an accomplishment in itself."

Everyone laughs, and I find myself feigning it—I guess what I came to do is weighing down on me.

Nabi passes out perfectly grilled pieces of meat, and we eat them with perilla leaves, rice, and kimchi. Jesstina wins the affection of the boys, doing an impression of Jungkook in the morning—chugging coffee or an energy drink.

Beer and soju are passed around, and I take several sips of the latter to calm my nerves. Jungkook pours me a full glass, and I thank him as Taehyung and Jimin argue about whether we should order one more plate of pork belly. "How about half?" Hoseok says, tilting back and forth like a bobblehead. We must've all had a bit too much to drink.

"I heard Karma has something prepared for us," Namjoon says—his words aren't slurred, so he must be holding himself up pretty well. "Do you want to give your presentation?"

The table rumbles with anticipation—even from Nabi and Jesstina, who both didn't know what I was planning. "I thought you said no secrets between us!" Jesstina says, tilting around in her chair and pouting. I guess she had a bit much to drink too.