Chapter 28

The final image of "Greek God" includes the four of us lying down on a bank of grass, glowing with slick skin wet with glitter. The sunlight frames our faces, our eyes closed as if we're fairies who regularly take naps in nature. My head lies on Jungkook's shoulder. I can still feel the pressure against my temple.

Even as we applaud, watching the music video fade to black.

I turn my attention back to the camera. "What do you guys think?" I say. "Thank you for joining us to watch the release together."

In one of the filming studios of HYBE, the Fates and I sit in two rows—me next to Jesstina, and Nabi and Jungkook above us. The celebration of the release of "Greek God" culminates into this Live. Like with the other Lives we've done, I'm unexplainably nervous—even more so than during our live performances or meetups. I guess it's the idea of thousands of people watching me, studying my every move.

I watch Jungkook as he leans in and gives a conspiratorial whisper. "I think this may be my favorite song on the album."

"Hm! Some people are asking whether it was hard to record your vocals for this album," Jesstina says.

I turn toward him, watching him test the question with the tilt of his head. "It was a lot of rapping," Jungkook says. "Going back to my old days. Knowing that the parts were not originally meant for me, I took a lot of care to add my own flavor."

Unbidden, the memory of Yuna recording those original tracks comes to mind. It hurts to know that her voice won't be heard, and I wonder if she's watching this Live—whether she's happy with the decision to let Jungkook into the group.

The set for this Live is decked out with real flowers, making us appear like we're floating in an actual garden of the gods. As I answer questions—ranging from deep and introspective to weird and almost meaningless, I think about the latest text messages I've received from my parents.

Are there online college courses you can take for next semester? Mom had sent me. I can practically envision her practical tone, the way she's always looking toward my future.

So proud, My dad had sent me. I showed "Weavers" to all the guys and gals at the IT department. They can't believe you're my daughter!

I make it a note to call them soon, even though the Fates' schedule is so packed these days that I can barely sneak in a text message. Thinking of my parents, knowing that they're possibly watching this Live as well, I perk up and try to ignore the introverted part of me—the part that just wishes I was in my bedroom instead.

"Last question," Jesstina says, her smile going crooked as it does when she's about to offend me. "How are the lovebirds doing? this one says. Well, do you want to say something about that, Karma?"

I match Jesstina's mischief with a grin of my own, even as I envision the whole world rolling their eyes. "It's going great," I say, glancing over my shoulder at Jungkook. "He is my true Greek God."

Nabi giggles, hiding her nose with her fingers—she's often insecure about it flaring. Jesstina makes a face, like she just saw someone squeezing a lemon into her strawberry milk. "Okay. Maybe we need a new final question."

The Live wraps up with capture time, where we make a few poses for the fans to screenshot. Then, we're waving animatedly and saying goodbye. When the Live ends, I inhale deeply—like I was not able to fully breathe throughout the whole forty five minutes of the stream.

"We're off to vocal practice," Kristine says, giving us less than a minute to gather our things and get ready.

"Way to give the fans what they want," Jungkook says, nudging my elbow. Then he winks, actually winks before heading out of the studio.

I follow in a daze.

"Now, girls, we don't want you to relax. At all." Caren holds a ruler like she would a conducting baton. She taps it against her palms, like she could suddenly lash out—even though I know she would never. "We're approaching that time when we're going to work on the next album. And it's going to be an LP. I want all of your voices in top shape—which means you need to take care of your instrument."

Even Jungkook straightens his spine, muttering a "yes, ma'am" with the rest of us.

Caren Seonsaengnim smiles, even though she's probably aware that it brings her level of terror to new heights. She points at each of us, directing us through vocal warmups.

It's on my third trill that I feel a vibration against my thigh. My phone. I ignore it.

Then I catch Jesstina and Nabi also reaching for their pockets, unconsciously. They won't dare take it out during a lesson, but it's strange. Could we have received something in our group chat? The only one who would ping all of us is Kristine.

Then, Caren Seonsaengnim takes a break and glances at her phone on the music stand. Her eyes widen, just barely, but enough that I know she's hiding some shock. "What is... this."

I can't take it anymore. I reach for my phone and lift it up just a fraction, so I can catch just a glimpse of the screen.

It's a text message. It's from someone anonymous—because all there is on the top line is a random number. But the message. It's enough to steal all the air from my lungs. All caps, no punctuation, but the message is clear as day.

STOP USING HIM.

A/N: If I got a text message like that, I think I'd have a panic attack

A/N: If I got a text message like that, I think I'd have a panic attack. I think a lot about how an idol needs to have thick skin in a situation like this.

On a side note, I'm living for Jungkook rapping Latto's part in "Seven." Who knew we would be treated to rapper Jungkook this year?