Chapter 23

Today, Jungkook and I will be together in the loosest sense, and ninety percent of me is dreading it.

The other ten percent sees the possibilities that CEO Kimmy explored for us. Could this really work?

After a morning conversation, where we smoothed out all the details between CEO Kimmy and the members, it's back to practice. Heart Seonsaengnim pushes us harder than ever, focusing especially on the delicateness in Jungkook's movements. I catch myself staring, marveling at the way he learns so quickly, picking up all the little facets of a girl group dance.

Caren Seonsaengnim also doubles down, trying to unlock the various potentials of our vocals. Jungkook aces every assignment, followed closely by Jesstina. Nabi also soars after a little more time, while I struggle especially with my mixed voice.

"Why does it feel like I'm a trainee, except more so," Jesstina says, chugging a bottle of water in the hall.

I get what she's saying. "I don't think we'd ever stop needing to practice."

And soon enough, it's been a whole month since the Fates has debuted. We're topping the charts, "Weavers" going especially viral. Of course, Jungkook is adding tons of hype to our name—ARMYs are taking to his new role very well.

Today, the Fates is heading for our first university festival. In the summer, these festivals are all the rage as students release their stress by listening and dancing to their favorite K-pop artists. In short, it's an opportunity to get the Fates' name out there. Even though our stage at Shinhan University will be a smaller one, it'll still mark one of our firsts. Performing at a festival will be much more freeing than going on a music show, and I'm more than looking forward to it.

I lean back in the middle left seat of our van, going over the lyrics in my head. We won't just perform "Weavers," but a whopping all five of the songs on our EP.

"It's the first time," Jesstina says from the backseat. "Do you think we can get through all five without a hitch? My eyebrows are trembling."

Nabi giggles, a sound that's become more common after our debut. "I think we'll do just fine," she says. "We've run through it thousands of times in practice."

Jungkook makes a sound of assent. "I think so too. And it's a university festival, so we can be more free. We don't have to be too perfect."

I steal a glance at him, admiring his stage outfit. He wears a turquoise blouse-dress shirt hybrid. His long slacks are black and flowy, matching with the girls' and my black halter tops and turquoise denim skirts. His extensions are combed into elegant waves, and he just got his eyelashes and nails done again the other day. In short—stunning and beautiful. Although I'd never say this to his face.

"You look spectacular, Jungkook," Jesstina says, apparently in sync with my thoughts. "Like, actually slaying." She says the last word in English, adding a wink for good measure.

"Slaying?" Jungkook says, cocking his head.

"It means you look good enough to kill," I say, grinning when Nabi covers her mouth with her hand—a telltale sign she's holding back a burst of laughter.

The ride continues, and we fall into a comfortable silence. Outside, the sky grays, and droplets of rain fall and stick to the windshield. I watch them as they rivulet off to the sides, disappearing like the fickle moments of our lives.

In the silence, I reflect on the meeting with CEO Kimmy. Jungkook and I didn't deny any rumors, but at the same time we didn't have any chance to fuel them either. We haven't made many public appearances besides the music shows and some variety shows. Jungkook and I didn't have any chance to make googly eyes at each other while a camera so happens to be pointed at us.