42-Branding Day

Sunday family dinner was uncomfortable at most. Kaison and Zach were supposed to be back late Saturday night but as Elle glanced at the two empty chairs, it was obvious they weren't. She had heard Zach had won his division of bull riding. She was excited for him and glad he was okay. She still wasn't sure about all that bull riding it just looked so dangerous to her but knowing he was okay and won, she was happy.  But, apparently...Jake was not thrilled. 

Well, from what Elle could tell, it seemed he wasn't really happy. Like they still weren't back by Sunday morning, or afternoon or for that matter, by the time they were all sitting down for Sunday dinner. Actually Cappy came in to tell Jake about half way through their meal that they had finally made it back and were unloading down at the barn. Elle immediately jumped up from the table, she wanted to go see Zach and of course what he had won. 

"No ma'am." Jake called out across the table, "Sit down and finish your dinner." Jake said his tone flat, his eyes emotionless. 

Elle looked across the table at the three sitting across from her. They just gave her sympathetic shrugs or that cautious look that said 'better do as he says'. It meant Jake was in no mood and they were trying to warn her not to push him. Elle cautiously slid back into her chair. 

Neither Kaison or Zach made it to the table for dinner, at least not by the time Jake let Elle be dismissed. It was her night to help with the dishes, which was fine, she would be back for that but first she wanted to try and find Zach. She ran down to the barn, Rosie followed her.

Zach was walking towards the tack room to drop off his gear when she saw him. 

"Hey, love." He said as he walked towards one of the empty pegs to hang his gear.

"Hey," Elle said as she stepped into the room, "congratulations."

"Well, thank you." He said smiling  as he looked at her over his shoulder. "I was afraid you would still be mad at me." He said as he heaved the heavy saddle up onto one of the pegs. 

Elle's brow furrowed for a moment remembering all too well, the spanking he gave her. "I am but..." she paused as she looked up at him as he started walking towards her, "I'm just glad you are okay and that you won." She finished with a little smile as she looked up at him.

He reached down and picked her up. 

"So am I love...to both!" He laughed giving her a tight squeeze as they continued on towards the stall.

Elle loved to hear her brothers laugh. Especially Zach and Jake, though she didn't see Jake do it often, she thought to herself. But with Zach, he had that deep laugh that seemed like it came from all they way down inside his stomach. It's like when he laughed, he laughed with his whole body. She bet that one day he when got old he would make a great Santa's helper.

He set her down on top of the gate, then he stepped inside. Elle swung one leg over the top and straddled the railing. She found it easier to balance herself up there sitting this way. Zach went over and started brushing Knight down while he buried his face in a sack of some fresh oats. 

A few minutes later Gage and Garrett had joined her and immediately started bombarding him with questions about the rodeo. Jordan joined in shortly thereafter. Now all four where leaning over the wall watching Zach.

"I suppose your brother isn't very happy were weren't here?" Zach said, not really addressing anyone. 

"Well, let's just say not happy is the probably the polite way to describe it." Jordan offered.  Zach just grunted.

"Why didn't yall come back Saturday?" Elle asked.

"Well, I got an opportunity to meet with an important person who could possibly help me with my career. So, we stayed to talk with them some on Sunday."