Friends and Understanding

Dracaena and Ominis found Sebastian in the common room, sitting alone by the fire, his brow furrowed as he dragged his quill over a sheet of parchment. The common room was quiet, the only other students present seated on the other side of the room, engaged in quiet conversation, occasionally throwing curious and apprehensive looks his way.

Dracaena approached Sebastian cautiously. He muttered a curse and scored a line through his writing, shaking his head.

"Bassy?" she said, and he jumped, looking up.

"Oh, hi," he quickly scrunched up the parchment, giving her a weak smile. "Had a good time?"

"It would have been better with you," she said, softly. "How's the essay going?"

"Not worth the parchment it's written on," he said, tossing it over his shoulder and into the fire. His jaw tightened a little as Ominis stepped up. "Gaunt."

"Sallow."

Dracaena glanced between them, biting her lip, until Ominis sighed and pulled out the chocolate bar, thrusting it forward.

"I bought you this, as you forgot."

Sebastian eyed it a moment. "You've not put one of Garreth's potions in it, have you?"

"Eat it and find out."

Sebastian chuckled, taking it. "Thanks, Ominis."

Dracaena dropped her bag on the table and flopped into a seat. "Do you need help with your essay?"

He glanced away, rubbing the back of his neck. "Nah, I think I'll be fine. I've been at it most of the afternoon, I could use a break."

"Don't let me stop you," Ominis said, drawing out his books and parchment. "Dracaena, do you have anything to do?"

"No, I've done all mine. Stayed up until midnight most nights getting it all out of the way."

"Sensible. I've a few more inches of Herbology, then I should really head to the Greenhouses and check on the Alihotsy that Garlick's got us growing."

"Need a hand?" Sebastian offered. Ominis chuckled.

"No, thank you. I seem to remember you had a penchant for shrivelling most of the plants you handled."

He laughed. "That's true. Dracaena, how about a walk? If you want to, that is."

She glanced at Ominis. "Well... I could help you with some of those spells you need to learn?"

Sebastian rolled his eyes, smirking. "Ah, I suppose I ought to use my time constructively. Up to the Room, then? I don't think the rest of our House would appreciate it if we started firing spells at each other here."

"Sure."

"Ominis, are you coming?"

"Actually, I rather think I'll stay here," he said. "I could do with concentrating, and it'll save me traipsing up and down hundreds of stairs."

"Suit yourself," Sebastian rose, stretching. "See you at dinner, then."

Dracaena squeezed Ominis' shoulder and followed Sebastian out of the common room, heading for the stairs. However, at the fourth floor, he veered off, wandering down one of the long corridors until they came to an empty classroom.

"Sebastian? Why are we here?"

"I just fancied a change of scenery," he said, hopping up to sit on a desk. "Not that there's anything wrong with the Room, of course."

"Mmhm," Dracaena leaned against the wall. "So, what spells do you need to practice?"

He chuckled, smirking. "You're not one to be dissuaded, are you?"