Veritaserum

Dracaena stared up at Professor Black in abject shock, forcing herself to close her mouth as his gaze travelled over the Slytherin table, his eyes narrowing as they landed on her. She hoped her expression could be interpreted as horror that someone would break into the Ministry, and not terror that she and her partners were mere moments away from being found out. As the Hall began to buzz with excited conversation, she tugged at Sebastian and Ominis' ties, bringing them close to her to talk, mimicking those around them.

They were both frightfully pale, and Sebastian seemed to be on the verge of passing out, swaying slightly in his seat.

"Pull yourselves together," she whispered, her voice trembling. "They don't know anything!"

"Dracaena..." Ominis' voice was a strangled kind of whimper. "They know."

"No they don't," she insisted, though her gut twisted, threatening to expel the little she'd eaten. "We have to keep up appearances, isn't that what you've been saying all this time? Finish your breakfasts, both of you, even if you don't want to. We'll be alright once we're in the Room."

Ominis nodded, turning away to sip at his tea again, and she deliberately shovelled a forkful of bacon into her mouth, though it could have been rubber for all she tasted. Sebastian, however, only managed to hold his sandwich, his eyes wide and vacant as yolk dripped in a staccato pattern on his plate as he trembled.

"Bassy," she whispered, leaning in and resting a hand on his leg. "Please. We can't let them think anything's wrong."

He nodded absently, taking a slow bite of his breakfast, his eyes still so wide they looked like they were about to pop out. Dracaena cast a nervous, subtle glance around the Hall, trying not to focus too much on the teacher's table as everyone muttered and chattered, discussing Black's statement. She saw more than a few wary faces amongst the older students, Natsai's frightened look mimicking Sebastian's almost perfectly. She, too, was an unregistered animagus, and Dracaena felt a swoop of guilt, worried that another of her dearest friends might be in danger. Professors Weasley, Hecat, and Sharp were gathered around Professor Black, who was pointing angrily at the letter, and his hair.

"Shit on it," she whispered. "Come on, while they're distracted, let's go."

She took her partner's hands, and they strolled as casually as they could towards the doors. Ominis' hand was clammy against her palm, and she could feel Sebastian shivering. She pulled them both a little closer, her chest painfully tight. She held their steady pace until they had cleared the entrance hall, and then she broke into a run, not stopping until they were in the Room.

Safe for the moment, Sebastian seemed to snap out of his stupor, pacing up and down and swearing in a fluent stream as Ominis made for the sofa, sinking down and accepting another cup of tea from Deek, his hands trembling as the elf vanished.

"I knew this was a bad idea," Sebastian said, pacing up and down, his hands in his hair. "I fucking knew it!"

"It was your idea to break into the Ministry," Ominis said, his leg jittering as he clasped his cup.

"You were the one who suggested becoming animagi in the first place!" Sebastian snapped.

"So? You were the one who woke Black up when you bit half his hair out!"

"You think it was easy going in there? I tried everything else first! I didn't know Nott was going to write to him about him turning up with a fox as a pet!"

"You don't know he said that!"

"Why else is he interested in a fucking fox animagus!?"

"Enough, both of you!" Dracaena barked, fighting down the wave of panic that threatened to emerge as a wordless scream. "Christ, what's the worst that could happen? So they take us in for a little talk, and we lie! It's not hard!"