What's in a Name?

Dracus Fotheringham sat across from them, his penetrating glare intensifying to the point that Dracaena was amazed she didn't burst into flames. She couldn't speak, she could barely breathe as Sebastian's brows went up, his expression of shock becoming one of awe and excitement, while Ominis swivelled his head between him and the wizard across from them.

"He's... what?"

"Fotheringham!" Sebastian exclaimed, pointing. "You are, don't deny it! How else would you know?" He lowered his hand. "Wait... how do you know? How do you know we've been looking into you?"

Fotheringham glowered. "You don't need to know that," he said. "Your last visit here aroused some curiosity in me, and I elected to investigate."

"But how did you know?" Dracaena pressed. "I was..." she stopped, and glanced around the room, wondering if there was anyone else here, watching or listening. A nonverbal Revelio cast under the table showed her that they were alone.

"How did I know you were impersonating your headmaster?" Fotheringham said, and she gulped. "I haven't told anyone, if that's what you're concerned about, and nor will I, it won't serve any purpose to me. It's enough that you know I know. As for how I knew, suffice it to say that I've learned a thing or two in my time."

"How do we know you won't tell?" Sebastian said, his shoulders tense. "I'm not going back to Azkaban, so if you think for one second you'll turn us in, I'll-"

"Kill me as you did your uncle?" Fotheringham's beard twitched, and Sebastian flinched. "Save your threats for someone you can intimidate, boy."

Sebastian stiffened, his lips curling into a snarl as Fotheringham gave a quick, cold smile.

"I would ask you to trust me, however I understand that the current circumstances might make that somewhat difficult."

"How do we know you've altered Ominis' records?" Dracaena said, still gripping her wand. "If he gets into trouble because of this..."

Fotheringham sighed irritably. "If I hadn't, the Ministry would have chased you down by now," he said, fixing them all with another glare. "I would advise you stop questioning me and accept that I've helped you, on the condition that you stop investigating me and my work."

"Hold on a minute," Ominis said, staring in Fotheringham's direction. "I'd like to know how you know so much about us."

"If he actually does," Sebastian said, with a glower. "My trial was in the Daily Prophet, he could have read that to know about Solomon."

"But what about Black?" Dracaena hissed.

Fotheringham rolled his eyes. "What more proof do you require? I know you're all animagi. I know you're supposed to have a Ministry tail that you've somehow learned to slip," he pointed at Sebastian, whose brows went up. "I know you're not supposed to leave the castle without explicit permission because you beat another pupil half to death," he pointed at Ominis.

"He insulted Dracaena," Ominis growled.

"And you," Fotheringham turned his dark eyes on her. "You have a rare aptitude for magic, able to master spells far quicker than most, and your spells are more powerful."

Her fists tightened, a new kind of fear thrumming through her. Did he know about her Ancient Magic? "I'd like you to answer Ominis," she said, her voice surprisingly steady. "How do you know all of this?"

"I make it my business to know everything I can. Knowledge is power, knowledge is protection," Fotheringham folded his arms, glowering at them. "I'll not ask you again, and you are in danger of me telling you. You are to cease looking into my work, today."