Chapter 1

Gazing at my reflection in the mirror; I brushed up on my facial details as I carefully applied mascara on my eyelids so that my bright hazel eyes could stand out. It was my favorite feature along with my black silky hair that sat on my back and brushed over my shoulders. I got my good hair from my Dad who was half-Indian and half-Mexican.

My skin complexion was a sweet caramel, the perfect caramel actually. I would often earn so many compliments from it, that the nickname Skin, was given to me at the age of five. Most of my relatives and a few good friends, know me by this nickname, but I like it so much better than my regular name that I introduce myself as Skin to everyone I meet for the first time.

I leave out of the bathroom and down the hall, into the living room, only to be sighted with an all to familiar scene. That scene is my mama laying on the couch and knocked out with a crack pipe in her hand. I cursed under my breath and stomped her way to snatch the crack pipe out of her hand. Her body jumped and surprising eyes fell upon me. I, In return rolled my own eyes.

I had already turned on my heels and proceeded to the kitchen to throw the disgusting shit away in a trash bin before heading back into the living room. Man it smelt so bad when she did this shit.

I placed my hands on my hips shaking my head in dissatisfaction. Most times I fuss and giver her a piece of my mind, but today I didn't have it in me.

"Oh shit baby..you scared the shit outta me I though you was a officer."

My mama slurred her words with a tab bit of drool dropping from the side of her mouth. I swear I faked gagged.

"You cool mama?" I asked sounding both irritable and worried.

"Yeah baby just tired. Your uh..friend Jenna is here I told her to go wait for you in your room." My mom pointed to my bedroom door. I glanced back then turned my attention to her once more, and sadly her eyes were already slowly closing again.

I sighed, but still made my way to her.

"Thanks ma, and try to lay off that ok?" I kissed my mama forehead as she nodded, drifting off to her high sleep.

Ever since I was ten, I knew my mama had been doing this and I hated it. When I got older it got worse. I was smart enough to see the effect it had on our family, her mental health, KD's and mine. The worst part of it all is knowing who mama use to be. Hard-working, loved cooking, fair and intelligent. I use to ask KD sometimes what she was like before her addiction. In his words: "The strongest woman I will ever know. Didn't curse, didn't drink, never missed a day of work, she was like a mama and a dad. Gentle like a baby and as tough and protective as a lioness."

Most times I wish I didn't know. Simply, so I may respect her yet again. KD would often go out his way for her birthday, mothers day and Christmas's. He would buy anything for her. A car? Got it. Money and house paid off? Got it. Jewelry, clothes and all fine things. From time to time, I think KD felt guilty about giving her so much money, he believed its how she started experimenting with different crowds and drugs. KD never was the same since the realization.

Nearly everyday and night, KD would pray to our mama, and he did it in such a dedicated fashion. Nights where I just wanted to be alone listening to music, became routines centered around weary hours of the night by being awoken and troubled with babbling words. KD practically would drag me out of bed with two bibles in his hand, demanding that we read verses to our mama, or she would forever be damned and unable to be saved.

We waited in the living room for her arrival, and on beat, KD head would snap to the direction of the door. The second he heard her keys jiggle, he would turn his raging eyes to me. I would say nothing, for I understood where his hurt was coming from and in some twisted way, was grateful he was expressive enough to display both of our suppressed disappointment.

No matter what verse he spilled from the bible or passionate words of love spoken, made any difference that night. This wasn't our first night doing this, but closer to our twelfth. Mama would hysterically laugh, mocking KD that night, for believing in the bible.

I sat on the couch each time. Quietly. Watching. My book open. My ears open.

It was the first time I seen KD cry and the last time I seen him read the bible or speak of the lord. That very night, KD burned both bibles, snatching mines on his way out to the backyard. Mama had nothing to say to me and neither did I. I wasn't treated poorly or neglected by her, but KD was her favorite. If KD isn't getting through, neither am I.

I wish I was braver and more outspoken, maybe then I would be of some use.

I made my way back within my room to see the door was somewhat open. I got the urge to peek through and see what my friend was up to without me knowing, but then again my mama situation ripped away any playfulness I once had this evening. Instead I just made my presence know by entering the room.

Jenna eyes landed on me in a heartbeat.

"Hey gorgeous did you get my text?"

I blushed slightly, taking my phone out of my pocket and searched for Jenna's text. I was also eyeing at the time knowing in less than three hours I would be killing someone. I received a simple picture mail from an unknown number.

The picture was of a guy who was light skinned, had noticing curly black hair, and plenty of arm tattoos that stood out due to his skin complexion. The message was short, "him."

I studied the picture carefully, seeing that the boy stood outside the corner store M&K with a blue hoodie on and baggy black jeans.

This was my victim...

I felt a finger sliding down my arm. I Looked up finding myself trapped in Jenna's gaze, but she looked upset.

"Why are you ignoring me today Skin?" Jenna whined and pouted like a baby, which I found to be super cute.

"I'm not babes I have crazy shit on my mind." I admitted this truthfully.

"Aww." Jenna pouted before placing a kiss on my cheek.

This caused heat to rise upon my face and causing Jenna to giggle, who enjoyed my reaction. This was something I could expect from Jenna, who was regularly flirtatious, and really affectionate.

I gave Jenna a small smile without revealing my teeth. Jenna was dead on attractive. She had a slim body, but was big on all the right places. Jenna dyed her hair a tomato red, which in my eyes gave a good touch to her dark brown eyes, not to mention her light complexion added with a beautiful big rose tattoo on the front of her neck and that was the only visible one. Jenna had others on her back and thigh.

"Skin.." Jenna whispered in my ear, our bodies more near causing me to be overpowered by her lovely sent of cucumber perfume, added that it's her favorite smell of anything.

"Oh sorry..w what?" I blinked.

Jenna smirked. "Maybe if you wasn't eye fucking me you would of heard me." Jenna arched her eyebrows.

I just laughed. Hard to deny I wasn't when I was..

Jenna shook her head. "Can I spend the night boo?"

"Yeah..I just have plans tonight." I lost my train of thought mid conversation, as I was thinking about my victim, it simply never left the mind. How could it? But why do I feel eagerness and curiosity more than I do guilt, sickness, or fear?

Jenna shrugged casually.

"I can wait for you skin." Jenna said softly with a wink.

I began to speak, but was caught off guard when Jenna kissed my jawline. Goosebumps covered my skin from the unexpected touch.

"Thank you Skin you are the best."