Chapter 34 "The first encounter"

"This right here is a Type 54, semi-auto pistol, all black and the perfect weight for you." Kelly handed me the gun, I quickly put it in the back of my pants that I changed into. It wasn't anything fancy, and that unsatisfied me as I watched Kelly strap an AR-15 across her body.

"Why can't I have that?" I put on my best baby face for Kelly, while I pointed out the gun I would rather have, which was an sawed off shotgun, laying amongst other smaller pistols. Just because I had a small frame doesn't mean I haven't taken care of my body. I regularly hit the gym whenever I had free time, half the time it was because Donnie wasn't around and I grew uneasy being alone for long periods of time. At least that is what I tell myself. In all reality I could be depressed , holding off mental breaks by keeping my mind occupied.

I knew she was ready to slam me by the funny look I was receiving. Kelly was oblivious that Donnie and I been adventuring out into the woods for the last three months, shooting targets with weapons such as machine guns, rifles, pistols, shotguns and even throwing knives. It was slightly bittersweet to know that someone as tough as Kelly would underestimate me, not that it didn't bother me but I'm getting use to the underdog card.

Trust me, as a black women I wouldn't dare do that shit alone but Donnie loves the outdoors and on multiple occasions we've actually camped out in the woods. In the morning we would gather water from a river, boil it, then Donnie would teach me to hunt and survive in the woods. It became therapy for me. The quiet, all the space and time to think. It was a completely different universe from the ghetto. It literally molds you to be independent in most situations and teach you to work in harmony with your partner. Donnie would teach me about plants, animals and every now and then tell me the cruel white man's history, and he didn't sound proud.

Hell, the way he defended black people made me believe half the time that he wish he was my color instead. Who knows? Maybe he's just sensitive and not blind to our indifference.

"Righhhhht..because you're ready to lose your own arm?" Kelly snickered and shook her head. "No way love."

I squinted my eyes, and completely ignored Kelly. I attempted to reach for the sawed off, only to have my hand slapped down. Kelly looked amused, and it was strange that I found it adoring while being pissed.

"You got balls." Kelly pointed out. Her thin eyebrows where raised high, letting me know she was somewhat surprised by my actions. Yet, she still would give me these half-dead smiles that sent chills down my spine. It did things, like turn me on and creep me out all at once.

Kelly insisted that I take what she gave me and to put on the change of clothes. I complied without doing too much fussing, but I expressed my frustration in small ways. I would slam Kenny's car door, or ignore a question Kelly would ask me as we walked down a deserted street before shortly turning into a field of tall grass.

"You not really mad, ya know that right?"

Kelly was trailing behind me, mostly because I was actually use to walking through the wilderness, so getting smacked in the face by tall grass and watching my step was a piece of cake. Not only that but it was muddy and this slowed Kelly down just a tab bit.

I was thankful that Kelly added boots to the inventory of my changing clothes. Now that I think about it more, Kelly had on a pair of boots herself. Did she already walk through here? She could just be naturally prepared for situations, still it would be impressive and tactical if she scouted out the area before doing anything risky.

Even more, why does Kelly go so hard for me? I can't mentally process why anyone would give two flying duck fucks about me. Kelly eventually caught up to me which led us to finally walking side by side. I was thankful, because I didn't want to holler for any one to hear us. I was growing anxious with every step it.