ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛʜɪʀᴛʏ: ᴡʜᴇɴ ᴛʜɪɴɢꜱ ɢᴇᴛ ᴏᴜᴛ ᴏꜰ ʜᴀɴᴅ

"Today, we acknowledge a terrible loss. Cedric Diggory was, as you all know, exceptionally hard-working, infinitely fair-minded, and, most importantly, a fierce, fierce friend," Albus said, making us all look down in grief.

Zelda pulled out her handkerchief to wipe off the tears from her eyes.

"Now I think, therefore, you have the right to know exactly how he died. You see, Cedric Diggory was murdered by Lord Voldemort!" Albus said. The whole staff knew that, but it was still unbelievable to me that Voldemort was truly back. Igor already told me that, but I thought that it was only a smokescreen so he could leave me. However, I would do anything if Voldemort could murder him.

"The Ministry of Magic does not wish me to tell you this, but not do to so, I think, would be an insult to his memory," I saw Miss Chang crying quietly, placing her head in her hands.

"Now, the pain we all feel on this dreadful loss reminds me, and reminds us, that while we may come from different places and speak in different tongues, our hearts beat as one. In light of recent events, the bonds of friendship we've made this year will be more important than ever," Albus said.

"It's better not to remember the bond you've made with Igor," Zelda whispered, and I smacked her arm discreetly, successfully biting back a chuckle.

"Remember that, and Cedric Diggory will not have died in vain. You remember that, and we'll celebrate a boy who was kind and honest, and brave and true, right to the very end."

I could agree with every single word Albus said. Mr Diggory was truly a great student and an amicable person, also a boy who could have had a very prospective future. Sadly, he was a victim of what we all feared the most – a student had died in a school tournament, but not only that. He had been murdered by the hand of one of the most powerful dark wizards.

We all got outside the Great Hall. The things we heard Albus say shook us a lot, and we needed to discuss it with our closest friend groups. All of the students were already home for the weekend, and the staff still needed to pack everything up and attend the non-formal gathering Albus organised.

Soon enough, my suitcases were packed and I was ready to arrive in Albus's office. As I got there, I was greeted by Minerva, Poppy and Pomona. Of course, Albus was also there but got busy pouring liquor into his glass.

"Hi, Kate! Would you like some?" he said, implying the liquor.

"I'll pass, thank you. I'm not feeling quite well," I said, forcing a smile.

"You know, I'm truly satisfied with how you did your job this year," Albus said.

"Sure, and killed a student," I replied sarcastically.

"It's not your fault, Kate. Crouch tampered with the cup the day we saw him looking at the maze," Albus said.

"However, let's hope the next year will pass even better," I said.

"It's good, I already thought you were going to resign now," Minerva joined the conversation.

"No, of course not," I said with a laugh.

"I wouldn't know what to do if you did," Albus said, making me smile.

"Well, you could always give the job to Severus," I said, and Albus was sure to quickly change the topic of our conversation. We continued talking about the job, our plans for the future and everything that we could remember. It was already time to go, and we got to exit the school. But the whole time we were talking, I just wanted to go home and spend my time alone.